GEOG 3020 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: The Columbian Exchange, Anthropocene, Eutrophication

128 views11 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Global environmental change changes in our environment that occur because of interdependent social and ecological processes that are connected across geographic scales, from local to global (e. g. , biogeochemical cycles and climate systems; economic markets and political/governance networks). Global environmental change is a collection of processes that can be observed in localities, but with causes and consequences at multiple spatial and temporal scales. Teleconnections causal relationships over large distances (i. e. global systems impacting sites) (cid:858) (cid:272)ali(cid:374)g(cid:859) a flood e(cid:448)e(cid:374)t (cid:894)o(cid:396) i(cid:374)te(cid:396)p(cid:396)eti(cid:374)g a lo(cid:272)al e(cid:448)e(cid:374)t th(cid:396)ough a glo(cid:271)al le(cid:374)s (cid:895) A localized event; i. e. , it occurs over (impacts) a specific and limited area. Site-specific factors such as topography or ground cover shape its extent. Might be produced by regional processes, such as el nino, which influences weather patterns all over the globe. New flooding rhythms (regimes) might be a signal of systemic change in those processes.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers