POLS*4250 – Topics in Public Management
What is leadership?
strategic direction, plans and policies, effective oversight, regulation, motivation,
and partnerships that integrate all health systems building blocks to achieve results.
Leadership involves strategically developing and implementing plans and policies
with accountability and transparency. Good leadership should be practiced at all
- Interested in learning more about leadership concepts and theories and how
they’re applicable to the public sector
Leadership – historically, understood as effective mgmt. – Rost disagrees.
- demands followership.
- A leader requires to have motivation and inspiration to constitute
1. Whatarethebasictermsandconceptsthat havebeenidentifiedinthe
readings?Doyouunderstandallofthem?Identifythe onesthat youfound
2. Whatisthethesisofthereadinginquestion?Inotherwords, what isthemain
argument beingadvancedbythe author?
3. Howhasthisargumentbeen structured?Arethere certainthemesthathave
argument?Thinkaboutthequalityofthe data usedtosupportthisposition –is
it sufficient?Doyoufindtheargument compellingorwanting?
4. Trytoidentifysome ofthe most importantquestionsorideasthat havebeen
5. Thinkabouthowthese readingsrelate tothe othermat