Midterm 1 (post and replies) PSYC death and dying DE.docx

3 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2450
Professor
Hank Davis

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Catherine, Your perspective on death correlating with age was rather interesting. I agree that age is a major factor that affects our concept of death. Why does this occur? We know only what we are exposed to. Some scholars see death as a symbolic construction, something we have cobbled together from our experiences, guesswork, and ignorance (Kastenbaum, 2012). When we are little and question things, our parents are our main source. Therefore, the information/feedback we are given is very biased and our perceptions become restricted (e.g., our understanding of death). From childhood to adulthood our perceptions can change or become altered. For example, when our first pet dies, our parents may tell us that “he is in a better place, he’s happy there” .This experience has taught us that death is not the end of life, only a continuation of a new life. However, as we become older our perception of death changes as we go through more and more experiences. For example, mass media (television shows, the news, movies, etc.). Some of the most influential constructions of death in our society come from movies and television, with the Internet also coming on strong (Kastenbaum, 2012). Thus, we apply what we have witnessed from these sources of media to our own definitions of death. The most common signs of death have been lack of reparation, pulse, and heartbeat, as well as failure to respond to stimuli such as light, movement, and pain (Kastenbaum, 2012). For example, in crime TV shows such as CSI, Criminal Minds, etc., a victim is often pronounced dead once the pulse is checked at the scene of the crime. Everyone goes through different experiences and can be exposed to different things at different times. However, everyone’s concept of death is constructed throughout one’s lifespan, and can change or be altered at any time. From what I have discussed above I used a few examples to demonstrate how this can occur. What are everyone else’s thoughts concerning accidental deaths versus being able to plan for a death? Are there any similar experiences from your lives? John, I believe accidental deaths and being able to plan for a death affects us differently mostly because of society. Society teaches us what is of the “norm” and what is “deviant”. When death is planned society has taught us through mass media (news, television, movies, etc.) that the death is not as tragic in comparison to accidental death. For example, both Ryan and you used your experiences of losing your grandparents; I have lost both of mine as well to planned deaths. This is obviously still a sad time, but since the death was expected, you go through the typical process society has labeled as “normal” (e.g. a funeral with family and friends). While accidental deaths create more attention and tragedy and the process is not as simple. For example, when two sisters who went to my high school got t-boned by a transport truck and died. The media blew this up, people who did not even know the victim or the victim’s families were heart broken. Flowers were sent and people visited the scene to drop off candles and gifts. Furthermore, the parents had to deal with interviews and people constantly sending their condolences. This makes it harder to move on passed the death and accept it. The media allows the death to be dragged on, and becomes a constant reminder of what happened that day. Even after a year passed the news was still talking about what happened to these two young beautiful girls, everyone knew their story. Unlike the planned death of our grandparents, where all we had was a simple ceremony in their name to reminisce about their long lived happy lives. The examples I used above demonstrate how society’s plays a big role in how we deal with certain deaths. When the death is accidental it’s unexpected, a shock to everyone. Therefore the death is harder to accept and move on. Planned deaths allow us to say goodbye and get th
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit