Study Guides (273,333)
CA (149,512)
U of G (8,401)
PSYC (1,025)
PSYC 2740 (45)
Study Guide

[PSYC 2740] - Final Exam Guide - Ultimate 40 pages long Study Guide!

by OneClass1221246 , Fall 2016
40 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2740
Professor
Stephen Lewis
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 40 pages of the document.
UofG
PSYC 2740
FINAL EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Personality Psychology: Chapter 1-6
Midterm 1
Chapter 1: Introduction to Personality Psychology
The problem with defining personality is how to establish a definition that is sufficiently
comprehensive to include all the aspects; inner features, social effects, qualities of the
mind, qualities of the body, relations to others, and inner goals
Personality is: the set of psychological traits and mechanisms within the individual that
are organized and relatively enduring and that influence his or her interactions with, and
adaptations to, the intrapsychic, physical, and social environments.
Personality traits: characteristics that describe ways in which people are different from
each other
Traits also define ways in which people are similar to some others
Traits describe the average tendencies of a person
Psychological traits help to understand the dimensions of differences among people, help
explain behaviour, and they can help predict future behaviour
Personality  useful in describing, explaining, predicting
Psychological mechanisms  Input  Decision rules: IF, Then Output
Psychological mechanisms  like traits, except the term mechanisms refers more to the
processes of personality
Within the individual  personality is something a person carries with him or herself
over time, from one situation to the next.
The important sources of personality reside within the individual and are at least
somewhat stable over time and somewhat consistent over situations
Organized the psychological traits and mechanisms for a given person are not simply a
random collection of elements. Personality is organized because the mechanisms and
traits are linked to one another in a coherent fashion.
Our personalities are organized in the sense that they contain decision rules that govern
which needs are activated, depending on the circumstances
Most personality psychologists maintain that although people are not perfectly
consistent, there is enough consistency to warrant including this characteristic in a
definition of personality
find more resources at oneclass.com
Personality Psychology: Chapter 1-6
Midterm 1
Influential forces  personality traits and mechanisms can have an effect on people’s
lives
Personality influences how we interact with others, how we feel, how we select our
environments, our goals and desires, how we react to circumstances
People are not passive beings merely responding to external forces
Personality traits are forces that influence how we think, act, and feel
Person- environment interaction: interactions with situations include perceptions,
selections, evocations and manipulations.
Perception  how we see or interpret our environment
Selection  the manner in which we choose situations to enter—how we choose our
friends, hobbies, classes, careers, etc.
Evocations  the reactions we produce in others, often quite unintentionally
Manipulations  ways in which we intentionally attempt to influence others
Adaptation  a central feature of personality concerns adaptive functioning—
accomplishing goals, coping, adjusting, and dealing with the challenges/problems of life.
The physical environment  food shortages, extreme temperatures, heights, snakes,
strangers, etc. all pose threats to survival
Our “effective environment” represents the small subset of features that our
psychological mechanisms direct us to attend and respond to
Physical, social, and intrapsychic environments
Intrapsychic  within the mind—desires, memories, fantasies, etc.
3 Levels of Personality Analysis
1. The human nature level; like all others (Universals)
2. The level of individual & group differences; like some others (Particulars)
3. The individual uniqueness level; like no others (Uniqueness)
Human Nature
The traits and mechanisms of personality that are typical of our species and are
presented in nearly everyone. Ex. Nearly every human has language skills

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
UofG PSYC 2740 FINAL EXAM STUDY GUIDE find more resources at oneclass.com Personality Psychology: Chapter 16 Midterm 1 Chapter 1: Introduction to Personality Psychology The problem with defining personality is how to establish a definition that is sufficiently comprehensive to include all the aspects; inner features, social effects, qualities of the mind, qualities of the body, relations to others, and inner goals Personality is: the set of psychological traits and mechanisms within the individual that are organized and relatively enduring and that influence his or her interactions with, and adaptations to, the intrapsychic, physical, and social environments. Personality traits: characteristics that describe ways in which people are different from each other Traits also define ways in which people are similar to some others Traits describe the average tendencies of a person Psychological traits help to understand the dimensions of differences among people, help explain behaviour, and they can help predict future behaviour Personality useful in describing, explaining, predicting Psychological mechanisms Input Decision rules: IF, Then Output Psychological mechanisms like traits, except the term mechanisms refers more to the processes of personality Within the individual personality is something a person carries with him or herself over time, from one situation to the next. The important sources of personality reside within the individual and are at least somewhat stable over time and somewhat consistent over situations Organized the psychological traits and mechanisms for a given person are not simply a random collection of elements. Personality is organized because the mechanisms and traits are linked to one another in a coherent fashion. Our personalities are organized in the sense that they contain decision rules that govern which needs are activated, depending on the circumstances Most personality psychologists maintain that although people are not perfectly consistent, there is enough consistency to warrant including this characteristic in a definition of personality find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit