ECON402 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Autoregressive Model, Independent And Identically Distributed Random Variables, Utility

36 views1 pages
University of Waterloo
Department of Economics
ECON 402 S14
Assignment # 4
Due: July 29, 11:59pm
Explain/Derive/Show work for full marks.
1. Consider an economy consisting of a constant population of infinitely lived individuals. The
representative individual maximizes the expected value of:
t=0
u(Ct)
(1+ρ)t, ρ>0
The instantaneous utility function,
u(Ct)=CtθCt
, where
θ
>0
Assume that C is always in the rage where u'(C) is positive.
Output is linear in capital, plus an additive disturbance: Yt=AKt + et. There is no depreciation; thus Kt+1=
Kt + Yt – Ct. and the interest rate is A; assume A=
ρ
. Finally, the disturbance follows a first-order
autoregressive process:
et=ϕet1+εt
, where
0<1
, and where the
εt
's are mean-zero, i.i.d. shocks.
a) Find the first-order condition (Euler) relating Ct and expectations of Ct+1. (4)
b) Suppose that most of output is consumed, i.e. you are given that
Ct=A Kt+A
1+Aϕ et
, solve for
Kt+1 as a function of Kt and et. (3)
c) Explain & show the effects of a one-time positive shock to
on the paths of Y, K & C?(6)
2. Answer each of the following questions using the search&matching model(10.6):
a) Explain & graph the effect on E* of a fall in the job break up rate. (3)
b) Explain & graph the effect on E* of a rise in the cost of maintaining a job, c. (2)
c) Explain & graph the effect on E* of a rise in effectiveness of matching, K. (3)
d) If φ=0.5, but the arrival rate of jobs offers is lower than the arrival rate of workers, explain who will get
a greater share of the production value of the match, y.(2)
3. Consider 3 types of search model: wage posting with homogeneous workers and no on the job search,
wage posting with heterogeneous workers and no on the job search, and wage posting with homogeneous
workers as well as on the job search.
a) Explain which model would be most appropriate to use, if you wish to investigate wage differentials
across industry. (2)
b) Explain which model would be most appropriate to use if you wished to explain wage variance within
industry. (2)
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Explain/derive/show work for full marks: consider an economy consisting of a constant population of infinitely lived individuals. The representative individual maximizes the expected value of: U (ct ) (1+ )t , >0 t = 0. Assume that c is always in the rage where u"(c) is positive. Output is linear in capital, plus an additive disturbance: yt=akt + et. Kt + yt ct. and the interest rate is a; assume a= . Finally, the disturbance follows a first-order autoregressive process: where >0. , where 0< <1 , and where the t. "s are mean-zero, i. i. d. shocks: find the first-order condition (euler) relating ct and expectations of ct+1. (4, suppose that most of output is consumed, i. e. you are given that ct= a k t+

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers