Study Guides (275,416)
CA (150,802)
UBC (4,698)
ASTU (5)
ASTU 100 (5)
Study Guide

[ASTU 100] - Final Exam Guide - Everything you need to know! (62 pages long)
Premium

by OneClass1164742 , Winter 2017
62 Pages
Winter 2017

Department
Arts Studies
Course Code
ASTU 100
Professor
Carmen Faye Mathes
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 62 pages of the document.
UBC
ASTU 100
FINAL EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
ASTU Jan 5 - unsticking
Last class we introduced stuckness as savage torpor:
A multitude of causes [of the modern individual] that point back to the romantic views,
to former times, are now acting which a combined force to blunt the discriminating
powers of the mind, and unfitting it for all voluntary exertion to reduce it to a state of
almost savage torpor
Last class talked about the romantic globalism
Where the uniformity of their occupations produces a craving for extraordinary incident,
which the rapid communication of intelligence hourly gratifies -> media
Torpor = inertia, absence or suspension of motive power, actively or feeling, not to
move at all, state of profound innervation, lateral state, physical immobility, lack of
mobility
In the artile e read for toda, Bria MGrath oets this state to the lak of illed atio
many of us experience when interacting with media today, what does he mean by that?
How does the media produce a savage torpor?
o Brings the entertainment to you so you do’t hae to go to it
o You a hear all the opiios ut do’t hae to produe our o
o Virtual world is spacious
What is the difference between television and social media?
o Television controlled by someone else
passive consumption
centralized, seen as lazy
cools you down takes your affective energy
o Internet controlled by anyone
illusion of active consumption
seen as participating
personalized
savage torpor experience subconscious resistance to activity , evacuate thought from
sensation
last class we introduced the idea of romantic globalism as a high stakes ter that aes
different kinds of sig patterns in romantic texts
romantic texts can signal globalism (obvious) through their content
o ex. Story takes place in india
or (less obviously) through their content
o ex. Cotton, rice etc
romantic texts can also signal globalism (the least obvious) by trying to capture the
difficult to discern but nevertheless present affective or experiential qualities of being in
a world organized y colonialism, slavery, exploration
o ex. Setting prosaic language to poetic meter in order to produce feelings of
strangeness and awkwardness
find more resources at oneclass.com
Affect:
pre cognitive, happens before our minds catch up
embodied
pre-subjective
= a feeling before you register it as a feeling of such
can also be contagious, heightened feeling
ex. Love at first sight
#1:
i struture of feelig the Marist riti alls for literar ritiis to push eod orld ie
or ideolog ad atted istead to the harateristi eleent of impulse restraint and tone
specifically affective elements of consciousness and relationships not feelings against thought
but thought as felt and feeling as thought
for Williams, as for his inheritors, including Fredric jameson, feeling is synonymous with
lived or living experience
this form in poetry is different from affect experience of being on social media or a
novel that entertains you
all  of oloialis ut e a’t do athig aout it
how can a literary critic study affective qualities = impulse, restraint, tone feeling as thought,
thought as feeling
to return to where we began, through form: lets us characterize this
in the forms that inscribe a new sense of the absent global colonial system on the very
syntax of poetic language itself, a new play of absence an presence that at its most
simplified will be haunted by the erotic and be tattooed with foreign places

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
[ASTU 100] Comprehensive Final Exam guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com ASTU – Jan 5 - unsticking Last class we introduced stuckness as savage torpor:  A multitude of causes [of the modern individual] that point back to the romantic views, to former times, are now acting which a combined force to blunt the discriminating powers of the mind, and unfitting it for all voluntary exertion to reduce it to a state of almost savage torpor  Last class talked about the romantic globalism  Where the uniformity of their occupations produces a craving for extraordinary incident, which the rapid communication of intelligence hourly gratifies -> media  Torpor = inertia, absence or suspension of motive power, actively or feeling, not to move at all, state of profound innervation, lateral state, physical immobility, lack of mobility In the arti▯le ▯e read for toda▯, Bria▯ M▯Grath ▯o▯▯e▯ts this state to the la▯k of ▯▯illed a▯tio▯▯ many of us experience when interacting with media today, what does he mean by that?  How does the media produce a savage torpor? o Brings the entertainment to you so you do▯’t ha▯e to go to it o You ▯a▯ hear all the opi▯io▯s ▯ut do▯’t ha▯e to produ▯e ▯our o▯▯ o Virtual world is spacious  What is the difference between television and social media? o Television controlled by someone else  passive consumption  centralized, seen as lazy  cools you down takes your affective energy o Internet controlled by anyone  illusion of active consumption  seen as participating  personalized  savage torpor experience – subconscious resistance to activity , evacuate thought from sensation last class we introduced the idea of romantic globalism as a ▯high stakes ter▯▯ that ▯a▯es different kinds of sig patterns in romantic texts  romantic texts can signal globalism (obvious) through their content o ex. Story takes place in india  or (less obviously) through their content o ex. Cotton, rice etc  romantic texts can also signal globalism (the least obvious) by trying to capture the difficult to discern but nevertheless present affective or experiential qualities of being in a world organized y colonialism, slavery, exploration o ex. Setting prosaic language to poetic meter in order to produce feelings of strangeness and awkwardness find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit