Study Guide - History of the Trial
1. What were the central legal themes of Hammurabi's Code?
2. What was radical about Aeshylus's portrayal of Orestes' trial?
3. What two competing ideas about justice began in the 5th Century?
4. What is the essential feature of rhetoric , as described by Cicero? How does that play out in today's courts?
5. What was the purpose of laws developed in Justinian's Rome?
6. What is the original essence of an oath?
7. How was a Trial by Ordeal believed to serve justice?
8. When was evidence first introduced in courts?
9. How did the concept of mens rea come to be? What does it state?
10. Why was torture developed? Does it work?