SOC 101 Final: Important Concepts for Final The final covers Chapter 16 and an essay portion. I have extensively summarized and defined all theories, concepts and terms from class lectures and textbook readings. The essay was the biggest scare for me! But I understoo

172 views4 pages
16 Oct 2011
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Transformation of culture and social institutions over time. Social change happens all the time, cultural lag states that material cultures (technological) change faster than non-material culture. Social change is sometimes intentional but often unplanned; ie who would"ve known the impact of cars on the environment, death causalities, etc. Some social change are more important than others. Invention (making new things), discovery (notice of already existing things), diffusion (sharing and spreading through culture) Strong ideas such as religion or racism can cause change. Organized activity that encourage or discourage social change. Alterative: least threatening to status quo, target individuals, works to alter people"s lives. Redemptive: targets individuals, help people redeem their lives, more radical change. Reformative: aim for limited change but to everyone, example: environmental change. Revolutionary: strive for major transformation on entire society. Deprivation: people who are deprived band together. Mass-society: social movements attract socially isolated people who seek sense of identity and purpose through membership, they have agendas.