Rome Study Guide Section 4
Caracalla, Augustus, Trajan Decius.
ID each and tell what each is doing in their portrait.
○ depicts him with short hair
○ shorter military style beard
○ position also conveys paranoia
○ more apprehensive behavior.
○ rather representative of his past
■ was made when he took over as
■ after he killed his brother
■ had to pretend his brother never existed
■ his paranoia makes sense within the context of his backstory
○ In depictions of him
■ his head would remain the same
■ clothing and pose would change
■ different clothing and postures
helped show him in different roles
● served as propaganda
○ In this piece, Augustus is shown as a
○ Even as he aged, his face would remain
■ serve as propaganda.