BIO ENG 150 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Scanning Probe Microscopy, Scanning Tunneling Microscope, Phage Display

30 views14 pages
8 Jan 2019
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Write down your name and the last 4 digits of your sid on all the pages (1) Total number of points = 110: briefly define the terminology and describe the similarity and differences between the two terms: (21, phage display and selex (6) Both phage display and selex utilize directed evolution to identify a biomolecule with desired properties. Both begin with creating a large library (i. e. diversification), panning this library against a target of interest (i. e. selection), amplifying the binders (i. e. amplification), and repeating until a consensus of binders have been identified. (2) Phage display high-throughput screening process that identifies functional peptides. The process begins with a diverse library of bacteriophage that display peptides as fusion proteins on the phage coat surface. These bacteriophages are panned against a target of interest, washed to remove weakly-bound peptides/bacteriophages, eluted, amplified, and repeated until strong-binding peptide(s) have been identified. (2)