Computer Science
Course
CAS CS 111
Professor
David Sullivan
Semester
Fall

Description
CS 111 Notes Part 3 File Processing nextLine method: reads until end of the line ex. System.out.print(“Input the person’s age: “);        int age = console.nextInt();        console.nextLine(); Scanner Lookahead hasNext() hasNextInt() hasNextDouble() hasNextLine() returns true if read can be performed and false if not ex. Scanner console = new Scanner(System.in); System.out.print(“Enter an integer: “); while(!console.hasNextInt()) { console.nextLine(); System.out.print(“Not an integer. Try again: “); } // checks if the input is an int File class in Java is used to represent a file on disk import java.io.*; //imports java.io package File f = new File(“”); useful methods from this class: public boolean exists() public boolean canRead() public boolean canWrite() public boolean delete() public long length() public String getName() publicString getPath() Scanner objects can read from a text file – Scanner input = new Scanner(new File(“”)); FileNotFoundException – when file specified isn’t there or is inaccessible checked exception – need to be handled or declared that it won’t be handled instead of  avoided like unchecked exceptions in order to declare not to handle it add throws clause to header public static void main(String[] args)     throws FileNotFoundException { newline characters are different in different operating systems: Unix/Linux: \n Windows: \r\n Macintosh: \r changing a Scanners delimiters –  Scanner object assumes tokens are separated by whitespace(spaces, tabs, newlines  – AKA delimiters) useDelimiter method – changes delimiters ex. input.useDelimiter(“\t|\r\n|\n|\r”); tells Scanner to use tabs(\t) and end­of­line characters as delimiters but not  spaces when reading a file using Scanner you can only read forward  to jump to beginning of file a new Scanner is needed to write to a text file we use a PrintStream object print(), println() are PrintStream methods System.out is a PrintStream PrintStream output = new PrintStream(new File(“”)); If there’s existing file with same name, it will be overwritten Binary files – not all files are text; stores binary representation of values Arrays Array: a collection of data values of the same type values are referred to as the elements of the array each element has a numeric index starting from 0 ex. int[] grades [] indicates that it represents an array int indicates that the elements will be ints declaring the array variable does not create the array ex. grades = new int[8] creates an array []  =  new []; length of an array is the number of elements in it .length //is not a method so no () auto­initialization – gives elements default values accessing an Array element  [] if index outside the range will get ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException another way to create an array []  = {value1, value2, value3,…} initialization list: list of values processing the values in an array for (int i = 0; I .length; i++) { do something with [i]; } this is also known as traversing the array reference variables – if variable represents an object, variable holds memory address of  the object printing an array Arrays.toString() ex. int[] grades = {7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 3, 4} System.out.println(Arrays.toString(grades)); Output: [7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 3, 4] Needs to import java.util package to use this method When assign value of one reference variable to another you copy the reference to the  object Null references – indicates that reference variable doesn’t refer to any object yet If attempting to use null reference to access an object a NullPointerException is  produced copying an array – must create a new array with same length and values using array to count things – have a counts array ex. for (int i = 0; i .length; i > 1; i­­) { [i] = [i – 1]; } [0] = 0; “Growing” an array – must create a new, larger array and assign new array to original  variable arrays can represent a collection of objects two­dimensional arrays – like a matrix consisting of rows and columns int[][]   = new int[][]; indexes still start at 0 actually an array of arrays [0] represents the first row .length gives number of rows [].length gives number of columns in that row processing all elements in a 2­D array – typically use a nested loop similar to processing  an array split() method from String class – breaks string into component strings and takes  parameter indicating what delimiters should be used; returns a String array can also use to process a file of data records Recursion recursion: a method that calls itself base case: stops recursion by not making another call to the method recursive case reduces the overall problem to one or m
More Less

Related notes for CAS CS 111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit