SMG FE 323 Study Guide - Final Guide: Efficient-Market Hypothesis, Risk-Free Interest Rate, Risk Premium

136 views22 pages
29 Apr 2018
Department
Professor
FE323 Final Study Guide
Topic 7: Efficient Markets
Efficient markets hypothesis:
Implies that securities will be fairly priced, based on their future cash flow, given all information that is available to investors
Implies that 2 securities with the same cash flow and the same risk must have the same price
Public, easily available information:
Information available to all investors includes information in news reports, financial
statements, corporate press releases, or other public data sources
Private or difficult-to-interpret information
Various forms of efficiency
Inefficient
Efficient
o Weak form: incorporates only past stock price history
o Semi-strong: incorporates all known public information
o Strong form: incorporates all information including inside information (including
non-public information)
Problem: Myox Labs announces that it is pulling one of its leading drugs from the market, owing
to the potential side effects associated with the drug. As a result, its future expected free cash flow will decline by $85 million per year
for the next 10 years. Myox has 50 million shares outstanding, no debt, and an equity cost of capital of 8%. If this news came as a
oplete supise to iestos, hat should happe to Mo’s stok pie upo the aoueet?
Plan:
In this case, we can use the discounted free cash flow method. With no debt, rwacc = rE = 8%.
The effet o the Mo’s etepise alue ill e the loss of a te-year annuity of $85 million.
We can compute the effect today as the present value of that annuity.
Execute:
o Usig the auit foula, the delie i epeted fee ash flo ill edue Mo’s etepise alue 
o N = 10; I/Yr = 8%; PMT = 85; FV = 0; PV =??
o Thus the share price should fall by $570.36/50 = $11.41 per share.
Evaluate:
Beause this es is puli ad its effet o the fi’s epeted fee ash flo is lea, e ould epet the stok pie to drop by
$11.41 per share nearly instantaneously, as it comes as a surprise to the market.
Private or Difficult-to-interpret information
Example: Phenyx Pharmaceuticals had just announced the development of a new drug
for which the company is seeking approval from the FDA. If the drug is approved future
pofits ill iease Phe’s aket alue  $ pe shae. Suppose the announcement
comes as a surprise to investors, and average likelihood of FDA approval is 10%.
Solution: The announcement should lead to a 10% × $15.00 = $1.50 per share
immediate stock price increase
Over time, investors will make their own assessments of the probable efficacy of the
drug
If they conclude that the drug looks more (less) promising than average, they will
buy (sell) the stock and the price will drift higher (lower) over time
At the time of the announcement, uninformed investors do not know which way it will go
Consequences for investors
Investors must have some competitive advantage
o Expertise or access to information known to only a few people
o Lower trading costs than others
o If stocks are fairly priced according to valuation models, then investors who buy stocks can expect air compensation
for the risk they take
The Efficient Market Hypothesis and No Arbitrage
Arbitrage opportunity: a situation in which 2 securities (or portfolios) with identical cash flows have different prices
o Because anyone can earn a sure profit in this situation by buying the low-priced security and selling the high-priced
one, we expect investors to immediately exploit and eliminate these opportunities
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 22 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
o Thus, in a normal (efficient) market, arbitrage opportunities will not be found
The efficient markets hypothesis states that securities with equivalent risk should have the same expected return
Different investors may perceive risks and returns differently (based on their information and preferences)
There is no reason to expect the efficient markets hypothesis to hold perfectly; rather, it is best viewed as an idealized
approximation for highly competitive markets
Topic 8: risk and return
Required return on an investment depends upon the riskiness of the investment
There is a reward to taking risk and it is equal to the risk premium/risk free rate
The greater the risk, the greater the required return you need to entice (the greater the premium/risk free rate)
When faced with 2 invesetments, same risk, choose the one with higher return
When faced with 2 investments, same expected return choose the one with less risk
Return
Give up opportunity cost
Give up the ability to consume or spend money
Have inflation risk
Have credit risk (Default risk)
risk
Security return: yield (dividends or interest) + capital gain (change in price beginning of year to end)
Stock: dividends +gain/loss
Bonds: interest +gain/loss or coupon+gain/loss
Higher premium/risk free= higher volatility of returns
Calculating return
Non dividend paying investments
1. Average return (just capital gain)
2. Geometric or compound annual return (CAGR)
Dividend paying investments
3. Realized return
Unlock document

A.Average = 80.5/10 = 8.05%
B.Easier to do part C first:
C.Assume you invest $100 at time 0
After The first year the 100 would have grown to $100 x (1 19.9%) = 80.10
For the second year you invest the $80.10 and it should grown to $80.10 x (1 + 16.6%) = $93.39 etc. etc.
For the full 10 years the equation is:
100 x (0.801 x 1.166 x 1.18 x 0.50 x 1.433 x 1.012 x 0.835 x 1.456 x 1.452 x 0.97) = 100 x 1.3683
You should have $136.83 at the end of the 10 years
Do part B now: We need the Geometric mean or the compounded growth rate use your financial calculator
PV = -$100 FV = $136.88 N = 10 years PMT = 0 I/Yr = ??
I/year = 3.185%
Alternatively, need to find the rate that make the compounded return of $100 equal to $136.83 over 10 years
100 x (1 + r)10 = 136.83 solve for r
1 + r = (1.3683) 1/10 = 1.03185 r = 3.185% same result as above.
Risk: large returns for increasing risk
- Small stock have the largest premium and corporate bonds has lowest premium
o Volatility of returns/variance of returns
Topic 9: Portfolio Risk & Return
Portfolio:
A combination of stocks or bonds
% invested in asset 1+% invested in asset 2
To an almost unlimited number of assets
A single mutual fund can be a portfolio
A portfolio can be made up of different mutual fund
Diversify can eliminate risk
Problem:
•“uppose ou u , shaes of Miosoft at $ pe shae ad 3,000 shares of Pepsi at $36 per share
•If Miosoft’s stok goes up to $ pe shae ad Pepsi stok falls to $ pe shae ad eithe paid diideds, hat is the new value
of the portfolio?
•What etu did the potfolio ea?
•What ae the e potfolio weights?
•The iitial potfolio eights ee $,/$, = .% fo Miosoft ad $,/$, = .% fo Pepsi
•“ie eithe stok paid a diideds, e alulate thei etus as the apital gai o loss diided  the puhase pie. The return
on Microsoft stock was $8/$25 = 32%, and the return on Pepsi stock was -$4/$36 = -11.1%.
Portfolio Return:
%5.2%1.11684.0%32316.0
=-´+´=+=
PepsiPepsiMicrosoftMicrosoftP
RwRwR
Risk and Diversification
Risk changes as we add stocks to a portfolio, decrease volatility
Individual Stock risk
- Systematic risk- affecting the system underlying the entire market
- Unsystematic- unique to the single company, only impacts one company
•The isk that the Foude ad CEO leaes the opa -unsystematic
•The isk that oil pies ise, ieasig podutio & distiutio osts-systematic
•The isk that a podut desig is fault ad podut a e ealled-unsystematic
•The isk that the economy slows, reducing demand for your product-systematic
 
 
2 2 2
1( ) ( ) ... ( )
1T
Var R R R R R R R
T
   
Unlock document

Document Summary

Implies that securities will be fairly priced, based on their future cash flow, given all information that is available to investors. Implies that 2 securities with the same cash flow and the same risk must have the same price. Information available to all investors includes information in news reports, financial statements, corporate press releases, or other public data sources. Efficient: weak form: incorporates only past stock price history, semi-strong: incorporates all known public information, strong form: incorporates all information including inside information (including non-public information) Problem: myox labs announces that it is pulling one of its leading drugs from the market, owing to the potential side effects associated with the drug. As a result, its future expected free cash flow will decline by million per year for the next 10 years. Myox has 50 million shares outstanding, no debt, and an equity cost of capital of 8%.