PSYC 1102 Study Guide - Comprehensive Final Exam Guide - Psychology, Psychoanalysis, Anxiety

157 views27 pages
21 Nov 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The definition of psychology is the scientific study of behavior and mind: what people do and why, psychology is roughly 130 years old! Mind; perception, memories, thoughts, feelings are unobservable, but actions are observable. Psychology employs the scientific method to learn and draw conclusions about the mind and human behavior. Theory developed set of ideas that propose an explanation for an observed phenomenon. Main problem is social desirability; impression management & self- deceptive positivity. Using existing data to answer questions of interest. Hindsight bias i knew it all along : after learning the outcome of an event (predicted outcome) Plato} knowledge is innate and emphasis on nature (biology) Aristotle} knowledge is gained and emphasis on nurture (environment) Rene descartes} mind-body problem and solution was dualism : 2 separate entities = i think therefore i am. In the 19th century, people began gaining evidence that suggested that the brain was a big part of the philosophical question.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers