Study Guides (283,558)
US (140,263)
LSU (4,109)
PSYC (672)
PSYC 3083 (25)
All (25)
Midterm

PSYC 3083 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Counseling Psychology, Sigmund Exner, Positiva Records

29 Pages
Winter 2013

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3083
Professor
All
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 29 pages of the document.
PSYC 3083- Exam 1
1) There are 5 clinical psychology/history overview questions
2) There are 4 questions involving specific theorists
3) There are about 14 questions about ethics/principles - nothing to memorize; mostly have to know/understand the
principle/ethic in question (e.g., sexual intimacies, gift giving, torture, boundaries)
4) 2 questions about In-treatment
5) Probably 17 questions about issues in the practice of therapy and related concepts like therapeutic relationship,
cultural sensitivity, transference, & cases I've presented in class and what the issues are in those cases.
6) Probably 8 questions about the DSM (know axes & meaning of GAF )
Clinical Psychology: the application of psychological knowledge and tecniques to alleviate distress and promote health.
- conducting and using scientific research
- assessment (interviews and testing)
- consultation
- application of various psychotherapeutic techniques
Lightner Witner: study of individuals by observation or experimentation with the intention of promoting change
Definition of Counseling
- to alleviate distress and maladjustment
- increase ability to function
Counseling Psychology is unique in its attention both to normal and abnormal human development
Psy.D // “Practitioner-Scholar Model”
// more clinical practice // less emphasis on research
Ph.D // “Scientist Practitioner Model”
Models of Therapeutic Intervention
Clinical psychologists use a variety of therapeutic techniques
- Psychodynamic
- Cognitive
- Behavioral
- Humanistic
- Systems (e.g. family or couples therapy),
- Gestalt
- Existential
- Transpersonal
“eclectic” approach – combines two or more techniques or models
THE BIG THREE
Psychodynamic perspective
- developed out of the Psychoanalysis of Sigmund Freud.
Psychodynamic – see a patient once or twice a week
Psychoanalysis – see a patient four or five times a week, more in depth (expensive)
Modern day psychodynamic approach focuses on conflict
+ how has the patient resolved the conflict? healthy/unhealthy
(explore unconscious, what went on in childhood, free association, analysis of defenses and transferences).
Defenses: anything that you do that helps you cope with anxiety. Not a conscious decision.
Ex. Projection: project what’s in your unconscious on someone else
Denial: (ex. cigarette smoking) doesn’t believe they’re affected
Regression, Rationalization, Reaction Formation, Identification with Aggressor
There is an Infinite Number: anything can be a defense mechanism if it serves the purpose of defense
and is unconscious
ex. heterosexual male – “serial adventurer”
defense mechanism – moves on from relationship to relationship to
- reduce anxiety of homosexuality
- avoid getting to close, past abuse/abandonment
Transferences
Take some relationship from your past and impose it on someone else.
Male client working with female therapist
has issues with mother, begins to treat therapist as mother
Counter Transferences
Transferences therapists have to patients
occur because of unresolved issues in your past
or you’re reacting to something the patient does that upsets/disturbs you
whenever the therapist is acting in a non-neutral way to the patient

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PSYC 3083 Exam 11 There are 5 clinical psychologyhistory overview questions 2There are 4 questions involving specific theorists3There are about 14 questions about ethicsprinciplesnothing to memorize mostly have to knowunderstand the principleethic in question eg sexual intimacies gift giving torture boundaries42 questions about Intreatment5Probably 17 questions about issues in the practice of therapy and related concepts like therapeutic relationship cultural sensitivity transferencecases Ive presented in class and what the issues are in those cases6 Probably 8 questions about the DSM know axesmeaning of GAF ClinicalPsychologytheapplicationofpsychologicalknowledgeandtecniquestoalleviatedistressandpromotehealthconductingandusingscientificresearchassessmentinterviewsandtestingconsultationapplicationofvariouspsychotherapeutictechniquesLightnerWitnerstudyofindividualsbyobservationorexperimentationwiththeintentionofpromotingchangeDefinitionofCounselingtoalleviatedistressandmaladjustmentincreaseabilitytofunctionCounselingPsychologyisuniqueinitsattentionbothtonormalandabnormalhumandevelopmentPsyDPractitionerScholarModelmoreclinicalpracticelessemphasisonresearchPhDScientistPractitionerModelModelsofTherapeuticInterventionClinicalpsychologistsuseavarietyoftherapeutictechniquesPsychodynamicCognitiveBehavioralHumanisticSystemsegfamilyorcouplestherapyGestaltExistentialTranspersonaleclecticapproachcombinestwoormoretechniquesormodelsTHEBIGTHREEPsychodynamicperspectivedevelopedoutofthePsychoanalysisofSigmundFreudPsychodynamicseeapatientonceortwiceaweek
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit