SOCL 2211 : Methods Outline FINAL

10 views10 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Critique articles 1 and 2 (focus on methods) You should be able to define, list, and use in examples. There will be questions like compare and contrast or list the types, etc. Methods: survey, participant observation, in-depth interview, evaluation, historical & comparative, focus groups, content analysis. For each method we discussed, you should be able to discuss: what research questions are they good for, strengths and limitations, sampling strategies used, validity and reliability concerns, and, ethical issues specific to that method. Survey: data collected from individuals through a list of questions: different ways of administering, versatility = useful for many topics, efficiency = data from large samples at low , generalizability = good with probability samples from large populations. Often used for representative info on large populations (i. e. u. s. voters) Omnibus surveys: long, often nationwide surveys that cover range of topics: i. e. general social survey (gss, i. e. american community survey (acs)