Complete Notes for the Semester (covers everything you need to know)

18 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Plant Biology
Course
PLB 105
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Spring

Description
Chapter 1: Intoduction 04/09/2014 I. Sustainable Environment: allows humans to survive without compromising the ability of future  generations to meet their needs II. Plant Biology Specialties i.  Plant cell biology  ii.  Plant Anatomy : cells and tissues iii.  Plan t morphology: structure of plant parts iv.  Plan t physiology: how plants function, processes v.  Plan t Genetics vi.  Plan t ecology: interrelationships among plants with each other and their environment vii.  Plan t systematics: evolutionary relationships viii.  Plan t taxonomy: description, naming, and classification ix.  Paleobotany : biology and evolution III. Domain Bacteria i. Kingdom Bacteria IV. Domain Archaea i. Kingdom Archaea V. Domain Eukarya i. Kingdom Protista i. Kingdom Plantae ii. Kingdom Anamalia iii. Kingdom Fungi Chapter 2: Chemical composition of cells 04/09/2014 I. Types of Bonds i.  Ionic  Bond: force of attraction between 2 oppositely charged ions ii.  Covalent Bond : forms when 2 atoms share a pair of electrons to complete their energy levels iii.  Hydrogen bond : a weak attraction between a slightly positive H atom in one molecule and a  slightly negative atom in another molecule iv.  Nonpolar Covalent : electrons shared equally v.  Polar Covalen t: electrons shared unequally II. Inorganic Compounds: composed of elements other than carbon i. Ex.: Water, acids, bases III. Organic compounds: contain carbon and (usually) hydrogen i. Ex.: Carbohydrates, lipids, proteins IV. Cohesion: the tendency of like molecules to adhere V. Adhesion: the tendency of unlike molecules to adhere VI. Acid: compound that dissociates in a soluation to form H+ and negatively charged ions i.  Strong ­ dissociate completely ii.  Weak ­ dissociate slightly Base: dissociates in water to produce negatively charged OH- ions and positively charged ions Chapter 3: Plant cells 04/09/2014 I. Prokaryotes: lack nuclei II. Eukaryotes: cell structure is larger and has more complex structures III. Plastid: group of membrane bounded organelles occurring in photosynthetic eukaryotic cells IV. Chromoplast: type of plastid, contains pigments that provide yellow, orange, and red colors V. Thylakoid: membraneous stacks of thin, flat, circular plates. Stack of thylakoids= granum VI. Vacuole: membrane bounded sac filled with a liquid that contains a variety of materials in addition to  water VII. Cell wall: outside of plasma membrane. Supports and protects the cell while providing routes for water  and dissolved materials to pass into and out of the cells. Composed of cellulose. Composed of primary  cell wall, middle lamella, and secondary cell wall.  VIII.Fluid mosaic model: the current model for the structure of plasma membrane and other cell membranes  in which protein molecules float in a fluid phospholipid bilayer IX. Osmosis: movement of water through a selectively permeable membrane from a solution with higher  concentration of water to lower concentration X. Facilitated diffusion: materias diffuse from higher▯lower concentrations through special passageways in   the membrane XI. Active transport: assisted movement of a substance from a lower▯ higher concentration. (move against  the gradient) XII. Symbiosis: Mutualism­ both gaining. Parasitic­ one gains, one loses. Commensalism­ one gain, other  not affected  XIII.Shorter wavelength­ higher energy; longer wavelength­ lower energy XIV.Light Dependent Cycles: require light/photons. Take in water, release oxygen. XV. Light Independent Cycles: uses carbon dioxide XVI. C4 plants: sugar cane, crab grass, corn. High light, high weather conditions, high heat XVII. CAM plant: pineapple, cactus. Shut stomata during the day to prevent water loss XVIII. Aerobic Respiration: 1.Glycolysis 2.Formation of acetyl CoA 3.Citric Acid Cycle 4.Electron transport  and chemiosis Chapter 4: Metabolism in Cells 04/09/2014 I. Anabolic reactions: chemical reactions where energy is stored in molecules II. Catabolic Reactions: chemical reactions where energy is released from molecules III. Calvin Cycle: 1.CO2 uptake 2.Carbon Reduction 3.RuBP regeneration. Inputs­CO2, NADPH, ATP.  Outputs­ carbohydrate molecules IV. ATP Synthase: an enzyme complex that synthesizes ATP from ADP, using the enrgy of a proton  gradient. Located in thylakoid membranes of chloroplasts and in the inner mitochondrial membrane V. Aerobic Respiration: 1.Glycolysis 2.formation of CoA 3.Citric Acid Cycle 4.Electron transport &  chemiosmosis VI. Fermentation: an anaerobic pathway. Degrades glucose and other organic materials without oxygen.  Very inefficient Chapter 5: Plant tissue and multicellular plant body 04/09/2014 VII. Hebacious plants: do not develop persistent woody parts aboveground VIII.Woody plants: trees and shrubs, have woody parts IX. Ground Tissue System: all of the tissues of the plant body other than the vascular and dermal tissues.  Composed of parenchyma, collenchyma, sclerenchyma  X. Vascular tissue system: tissue system that conducts materials throughout the plant body. Composed of  xylem and phloem XI. Dermal tissue system: the tissue system that provides an outer covering for the plant body XII. Plant growth:Primary growth  (length)secondary growth  (girth), apical meristem XIII. Periderm is made of : cork cells, cork cambium, cork parenchyma XIV.Vetiver: coarse tropical grass. Reduces rainfall runoff and soil loss. Increases crop yield XV.  Four types of Xylem cells : Tracheids, vessel elements, xylem fibers, xylem parenchyma Chapter 6: roots 04/09/2014 I. Taproot System: consists of one dominant main root with similar lateral roots branching from it. Obtain  water deep underground II. Fibrous root system: consists of several adventitious roots of approximately equal size that arise from  the base of the stem. Obrain rainwater III.  Function of Roots:  anchor plant in soil, absorb water and dissolved minerals, storage IV. Root Cap: a covering of cells over the root tip that protects the delicate meristematic tissue directly  behind it. Makes sure the root grows downward. V. Root Hair: an extension of an epidermal cell of a root that increases the absorptive capacity of the root VI. Endodermis: the inner most layer of the cortex of the root that prevents water and dissolved materials  from entering the xylem by passing between cells VII. Casparian strip: a band of waterproof material around the radial and transverse cells of the endodermis.  Ensures that water and minerals enter the xylem only by passing through the endodermal cells VIII.Symplast: continuum of living cytoplasm connected with plasmodesmata IX. Apoplast: continuum consisting of the interconnected, porous plant cell walls, along which water moves  freely X. Pericycle: a layer of cells just inside the endodermis of the root. Gives rise to lateral roots XI. Prop roots: adventitious roots that develop from branches or from a vertical stem and grow downward  into the soil to help support the plant in an upright position XII. Buttress roots: swollen bases that hold trees upright and aid in the extensive distribution of shallow  roots XIII.Pneumatophore: specialized aerial root produced by certain trees living in swampy habitats. may  facilitate gas exchange between the atmosphere and submerged roots XIV.Contractile root: specialized root that contracts and pulls the plant to a desirable depth in the soil.  XV. Suckers: aboveground stems that develop from adventitious buds on the roots. Some plants reproduce  asexually using these XVI. Mychorrhiza: mutually beneficial association between a fungus and a root that helps the plant  absorb essential minerals from the soil XVII. Rhizobia: certain nitrogen­fixing bacteria that forms associations with the roots of leguminous  plants. Live on nodules XVIII. Nodules: small swelling on the root of a eguminous plant in which beneficial nitrogen fixing bacteria  live Chapter 7: Stems 04/09/2014 I. Bud: undeveloped shoot that contains an embryonic meristem II. Node: area of a stem where one or more leaves is attached III. Deciduous tree: sheds its leaves annually IV. Lenticels: sites of loosely arranged cells that allow gas exchange to occur V. Pith: gorund tissue composed of large, thin walled parenchyma cells, function primarily for storage VI. Rays: chains of parenchyma cells that radiate out from the center of the woody stem VII. Sapwood: younger, lighter colored wood closer to the bark, conducts water and dissolved minerals VIII.Heartwood: older wood in the center of the trunk, typically brownish­red. Provides structural support,  more resistant to decay IX. Vines: weak­stemmed plants that depend on other plants for support. Often “climb”, grow rapidly  X. Rhizome: horizontal, underground stem that serves as a storage organ and a means of sexual  reproduction.  XI. Fleshiness: indicates that the stem is used for storing food materials such as starch XII. Tuber: the thickened end of a rhizome that is fleshy and enlarged for food storage (grows into separate  plant when parent plant dies) XIII.Bulb: rounded, fleshy underground bud that consists of a short stem with fleshy leaves XIV.Corm: short, thickened underground stem specialized for food storage and asexual reproduction XV. Stolon: aerial horizontal stem with long internodes. Often forms buds that develop into separate plants XVI. Spines: modified leaves XVII. Netted venation­ eudicot leaves; Parallel venation­ monocot leaves XVIII.  Wilting: an adaptation that decreases surface area to prevent water loss XIX. Leaf abscission: involves hormones auxin and ethylene Chapter 8: Leaves 04/09/2014 I. Mesophyll: photosynthetic ground tissue of the leaf. Located between upper and lower epidermis.  (palisade mesophyll­upper; spongy mesophyll­ lower) II. Bundle Sheath: a ring of parenchyma or sclerchyma cells surrounding the vascular bundle in a leaf III. Eudicot leaf: board, flattened blade, has petiole, netted venation IV. Monocot leaf: narrow, no petiole; base of leaf wraps around the stem forming a sheath; parallel  venation V. Conifers: pine, spruce, fir, redwood, cedar. Have waxy needs, lose leaves periodically throughout the  year VI. Proton gradient: the difference in concentration of protons on the 2 sides of a cell membrane. Contains  potential energy that can be used to form ATP or do work in the cell VII. Facilitated diffusion: the diffusion of materials from a region of higher concentration to lower  concentration through special passageways in the membrane VIII.Environmental factors of transpiration: 1.Higher temperature=more water loss. 2.more light=more water  loss 3.wind and dry air=more water loss 4.humid air=less water loss IX. Hydathodes: openings at the tips of leaf veins through which liquid water is forced out X. Bract: modified leaf associated with a flower but not part of the flower XI. Tendril: leaf or stem that is modified for holding on or attaching to objects Chapter 9: Flowers, fruits, seeds 04/09/2014 I. Angiosperms: flowering plants. Reproduce sexually and asexually. Have many adaptations for  pollination (colors, fragrances, ect) II. Asexual reproduction: when a stem, leaf, or root expands, grows, separates, and then grows to become  a new, identical plant III.  4 parts of a flower:  Sepal, petal, stamen, carpel (all four parts=complete flower; stamen and  carpel=perfect flower) IV. Sepal: outermost part of a flower, usually leaf­like in appearance. Protect the flower as a bud.  calyx =all the sepals on a flower) V. Petal: one of the often conspicuously colored parts of a flower, attached to inside of the whorl of sepals.  corolla =all the petals of flower) VI. Stamen: pollen­producing part of a flower; composed of filament and anther VII. In Sexual reproduction, pollen grains must be transferred from the anther to the carpel VIII.Carpel: ovule­bearing reproductive unit of a flower; composed of stigma, style, and ovary IX. Ovule: str
More Less

Related notes for PLB 105

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit