ENGLSH 1310 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Nathaniel Hawthorne, Emily Dickinson, Ralph Waldo Emerson

64 views4 pages
21 Nov 2017
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

The canon of a national literature is a body of writings especially approved by critics or anthologists and deemed suitable for academic study: type, species of class of composition. I(cid:374) this last se(cid:374)se, (cid:858)literature(cid:859) is taken to include oral, dramatic, and broadcast compositions that may not have been published in written form but which have been (or deserve to be) preserved. Even more restrictive has been the academic concentration upon poetry, drama, and fiction. The principal technique of allegory is personification, whereby abstract qualities are given human shape as in public statues of liberty or justice. Puritanism: anne bradstreet, the prologue, the author to her book, mary rowlandson, captivity narrative, terms, puritanism, religious beliefs that many early settlers of new england held. Johnathan edwards: (cid:862) i(cid:374)(cid:374)ers i(cid:374) the ha(cid:374)ds of a(cid:374) a(cid:374)gry god(cid:863) A special american form of autobiography, the slave narrative appeared as an important kind of abolition literature in the period preceding the civil war.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers