BIO 375- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 51 pages long!)

98 views51 pages
28 Mar 2018
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Food intoxication (food poisoning): ingestion of bacterial toxins (with or without the microbe being present) Foodborne infection: bacteria multiply in the intestinal tract, secrete an enterotoxin, and may invade cells of the intestinal tract. Enterotoxins cause symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and, possibly, bloody stools. Diarrhea/vomiting may b a defense mechanism to shed pathogens (cid:1007)b"s (cid:449)he(cid:374) u(cid:374)su(cid:396)e. Food intoxication (food poisoning: botulism is caused by botulinum neurotoxin (flaccid paralysis) of clostridium botulinum, a g(+) spore-forming bacillus, found in soil (can be dormant for decades) Improperly home-canned string beans, peppers, asparagus, sausage, cured pork and ham, smoked fish, and canned salmon. Botox: removes wrinkles, reduce muscle over activity. Clostridium perfringens (cid:894)(cid:862)food se(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:272)e ge(cid:396)(cid:373)(cid:863)(cid:895) food poiso(cid:374)i(cid:374)g, (cid:449)he(cid:374) spo(cid:396)es (cid:272)o(cid:374)ta(cid:373)i(cid:374)ate meat, poultry, and beans, undercooking. Gas gangrene: perfringens virulence factors: exotoxins that cause red blood cells to rupture and destroy tissue, collagenase, hyaluronidase, dnase. The organism grows rapidly in low-oxygen environment, caused by interrupted blood supply in damaged tissue.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers