19 views2 pages
8 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Organic Chemistry 2: Molecular Genetics
Information Flow in Biological Systems
We will now look at how the genetic information contained in the cell is expressed in
cells operations this leads us to protein synthesis
The sythesis of all poteis such as hai, ails, ezyes, hooes, etc… is ude the
direction of DNA molecules; it the role of DNA that is responsible for the hereditary
characteristic between parent and child
The overall process of protein synthesis can be divided into two steps: transcription
translation
Cetal Doga tells us that i cells the flo of geetic ifoatio cotaied i DNA is
a one-ay steet that leads fo DNA to RNA to potei
Transcription is the process by which a single-strand of DNA serves as a template for the
synthesis of an RNA molecule Think of making a COPY (carries the coded information
needed for protein synthesis)
Translation converts the information from one language of nitrogenous bases to
another of amino acids Think of TRANSLATING into another language (the codes
within the RNA molecules are deciphered and particular protein molecule is formed)
essentially translation is the synthesis of a protein from the genetic code carried on the
mRNA
The relationship between transcription and translation can be summarized by stating:
DNA transcription RNA translation protein
Classes of RNA Molecules (3 major types of RNA produced by transcription)
Messenger RNA (mRNA)
- Carries genetic information from the DNA in the nucleus to the ribosomes in the
cytoplasm for protein synthesis
- mRNA directs the amino acid sequence of proteins
- Each gene, which is a segment of DNA, produces separate mRNA molecule when
a certain protein is needed in the cell; but then the mRNA cell is broken down
quickly
- The size of the mRNA depends on the size of the nucleotides that is contained in
a particular gene
- A complimentary copy of a gene
- It has the codon for an amino acid in a protein
Ribosomal RNA (rRNA)
- This is the most abundant type of RNA; RNA makes up 65% of the structural
material of the ribosome, where the other 35% is protein
- rRNA combines with a series of proteins to form complex structures called
ribosomes they serve as the physical sites for protein synthesis
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

We will now look at how the genetic information contained in the cell is expressed in cells operations this leads us to protein synthesis. The sy(cid:374)thesis of all p(cid:396)otei(cid:374)s such as hai(cid:396), (cid:374)ails, e(cid:374)zy(cid:373)es, ho(cid:396)(cid:373)o(cid:374)es, etc is u(cid:374)de(cid:396) the direction of dna molecules; it the role of dna that is responsible for the hereditary characteristic between parent and child. The overall process of protein synthesis can be divided into two steps: transcription translation. Ce(cid:374)t(cid:396)al dog(cid:373)a tells us that (cid:862)i(cid:374) cells the flo(cid:449) of ge(cid:374)etic i(cid:374)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)atio(cid:374) co(cid:374)tai(cid:374)ed i(cid:374) dna is a one-(cid:449)ay st(cid:396)eet that leads f(cid:396)o(cid:373) dna to rna to p(cid:396)otei(cid:374)(cid:863) Transcription is the process by which a single-strand of dna serves as a template for the synthesis of an rna molecule think of making a copy (carries the coded information needed for protein synthesis) The relationship between transcription and translation can be summarized by stating: Classes of rna molecules (3 major types of rna produced by transcription: messenger rna (mrna)