PSYCH 110 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Psamtik I, Max Wertheimer, Wilhelm Wundt

76 views20 pages

Document Summary

Psychology - the scientific study of the mind, brain, and behavior. Debates: nature vs. nurture, the mind-body problem (dualism vs. monism) Biases: ignoring evidence (confirmation bias), not using statistics, seeing relations comparisons (ex. Using simple rule bias (fail to see our own inadequacies), failing to accurately judge source credibilit. 1st psychological experiment: psamtik i, king of egypt (what is most an. Protagoras (greece): "man is the measure of all things"; highly subjecti sensory impressions (individually based) Socrates (nativist/rationalist): knowledge=recollection (accessed by re systems like math. Plato (idealist/rationalist): reasoning is the only path to truth (shadows deceptive. Aristotle (empiricist/realist): perceptions=raw material of knowledge, a truths (monist perspective) Descartes: mind/body problem; "i think therefore i am" Structuralism: conscious experience can be broken down into its basic. Functionalism: adaptive purpose, or function, of mind and behavior (ho. Gestalt psychology: whole of personal experience is different than the. Key concepts: perception is subjective and dependent on context.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers