NURSE-UN 240 Study Guide - Final Guide: Hiatus Hernia, Hypersalivation, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

61 views95 pages

Document Summary

Nursing management of patients with upper gastrointestinal problems. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (gerd: no single identifiable cause. The persistence of symptoms (i. e. , more than twice a week for more than 1 week) is considered gerd. Incompetent lower esophageal sphincter (les) primary factor. Results i(cid:374) p(cid:396)essu(cid:396)e i(cid:374) distal po(cid:396)tio(cid:374) of esophagus: gastric contents move from stomach to esophagus. Anything that intraabdominal pressure (ascites, tight pants, etc. ) Can be due to ng tube (keeps the les open) Can be due to certain foods (caffeine, chocolate) and drugs (anticholinergics) Clinical manifestations: heartburn (pyrosis, most common clinical manifestation. Burning, tight sensation felt beneath the lower sternum and spreading upward to throat or jaw. Felt intermittently: greater than 1 week, increasing severity (waking up at night), burning, tightening in chest sternum upwards, otolaryngologic symptoms. Bitter or sour liquid into throat or mouth: hypersalivation may also be reported, associated symptoms: Post meal bloating, nausea & vomiting: wheezing, coughing, dyspnea, hoarseness of voice.