Biology
Course
BIOL 110
Professor
D R.J O H N P E L E S
Semester
Fall

Description
Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . Kingdom Anamalia: Chapter 32-34 I. Animal Characteristics A. General Characteristics 1. Multicellular 2. Eukaryotic 3. Heterotrophic 4. Require oxygen for aerobic respiration 5. Reproduce sexually 6. Motile at some stage of life cycle 7. Life cycle with stages of embryonic development B. Animal Body Plans 1. Organization of body plans i. Tissues a. Tissue- Integrated group of cells with a common structure and function ii. Body symmetry iii. Embryronic germ layers Germ Layer Tissue Animal Groups Endoderm Gut cavity and associated Radiata organs Bilateria Ectoderm Nervous system and outer Radiata layer of integument Bilateria Mesoderm Muscles; Circulatory system; Bilateria Skeleton a. Diploblastic- Containing endoderm and ectoderm ~ 1 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . b. Triploblastic- Containing endoderm, ectoderm, and mesoderm iv. Body cavity a. Coelom- Body cavity that forms between the intestinal canal and the body wall b. Acoelomates- Lack cavity between digestive tract and outer body wall c. Coelomates- Have a fluid-lined space between digestive tract and outer body wall; lined with mesoderm tissue 1. Complete digestive tract 2. Circulatory system d. Pseudocoelomate- Body cavity is lined with mesoderm and endoderm tissue v. Development Type of Development Zygote Clevage Fate of Blastospore Protostome Spiral Mouth developes Deutreostome Radial Anus developes II. Phylum Porifera A. Poriferan Characteristics 1. Lack true tissue 2. Suspension feeders 3. Reproduce as hermaphrodites III. Phylum Cnidaria A. Cnidarian Characteristics 1. Diploblastic 2. Radial symmetry 3. Saclike body plan ~ 2 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . 4. Two body forms i. Polp ii. Medusa 5. Nematocysts for prey capture 6. Simple nerves IV. Phylum Platyhelminthes A. Platyhelminthe Characteristics 1. Triploblastic 2. Bilateral symmetry 3. One-way digestive tract 4. Reproduce as hermaphrodites V. Phylum Rotifera A. Rotifer Characteristics 1. Pseudocoelomate 2. Triploblastic 3. Complete digestive tract 4. Reproduction by parthenogenesis VI. Phylum Nematoda A. Nematode Characteristics 1. Pseudocoelomate 2. Tripoblastic 3. Complete digestive tract 4. Sexual reproduction VII. Phylum Mollusca A. Mollusc Characteristics 1. Coelomate
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit