Economics (110)
ECON 102 (54)

Econ 102 Dave Brown final exam review notes! includes graphs

44 Pages
Unlock Document

Pennsylvania State University
ECON 102
Dave Brown

Ch. X: Consumer and Producer Surplus 05/01/2014 1.  Demand Curve  a. Think about the demand curve as Willingness to Pay (WTP) and not simple downward sloping curve.  b. A consumer places a value of a good and is willing to pay that value i. Price corresponding to a specific quantity demanded is the highest price consumers are willing to pay 1. Shown by the height of the demand curve c. A consumer is willing to pay less for each additional good consumed because of decreasing marginal utility.  This gives the D­curve the negative slope.  2.  Supply curve  Supply curve is upward sloping because increasing marginal cost leads to higher production costs a.     i. Increasing marginal cost is due to diminishing marginal productivity b. If each additional unit costs more to produce than the last, the firm will only accept a higher price for each  additional unit produced.  c. For supply, think of willingness to sell at a given price or the lowest price a producer is willing to accept for  a unit produced.  d. Price corresponding to a specific quantity supplied is the lowest price producers are willing to accept.  i. Shown by height of supply curve 3.  Height of demand vs. height of supply curve  a. Height of demand curve represents highest amount consumers are willing to pay for that specific QD b. Height of supply represents the lowest price producers are willing to accept when producing and selling that  specific QS 4.  Connections between demand and supply  1 a. Consumers often pay less than their maximum willingness to pay b. Producers often receive a price higher than the minimum price they are willing to receive for goods they  produce c. Consumer Surplus­ difference between willingness to pay (value) and the price actually paid for the  good.  i. Graph▯ area below the demand curve and above the price, for all units produced.  ii. Math▯ CS = WTP – (Price actually paid) d. Producer Surplus­ difference between price the good is sold at and the lowest price the producer would  have been willing to sell the good at.  i. Graph▯ area above the supply curve and below the price, for all units sold ii. Math▯ PS = (price good is actually sold at) – (lowest price the firm would accept) e. Total economic surplus­ (or economic welfare)­ the sum of producer and consumer surplus  f. Efficiency­ we say market is efficient if economic welfare is maximized 5.  (Graph Pg. 173) Consumer and producer surplus for a price of $10 graph   6.  (Graph pg. 174) CS and PS for a price of $15  7.  When price goes up....CS decreases and PS increases, ceteris paribus  8.  (Graph pg. 175) total economic surplus, or welfare. Assume price is = to E*  a. Welfare (W) is maxed at P* in competitive markets i. Any other price lowers welfare b. Welfare has policy implications…better to max W or CS?  2 i. “efficiency vs. equity” 9.  Deadweight loss  a. Equilibrium price is the price that will maximize economic welfare, where welfare              W= CS+PS b. Any other price will not maximize welfare i. There will be the creation of a new area on the graph called Deadweight Loss c. Deadweight Loss­ consumer surplus or producer surplus that disappears and is transferred to nobody.  i. If DWL exists, the market is not operating efficiently  ii. This happens with price ceilings and price floors iii. Transactions are reduced d. Price ceilings and price floors cause some DWL, Why? i. They don’t allow price to reach equilibrium ii. Causes “forgotten surplus”  iii. Due to reduced # of transactions e. Reduced amount of quantities traded are the driving force for DWL 10.  Graphical analysis of DWL created by a price ceiling (pg. 177)   a. deadweight loss occurs b/c trades from F (# of trades actually occurring) to equilibrium (Q*) are no longer  occurring b. In terms of CS & PS, price ceiling will… i. Increase CS and decrease PS ii. CS will increase if K>M 3 11.  Graphical Analysis of DWL created by a price Floor (pg. 178)  a. In terms of CS & PS, a price floor will… i. Increase PS & decrease CS ii. PS will increase if V (transfer of CS to PS) > Z (Producer DWL) iii. # of trades here is F 12.  Graph: reduction in economic surplus caused by price floor & ceiling (pg. 179)  a. government intervention in competitive markets redistributes surplus between buyers and sellers i. but often creates overall losses…so why do it? 1. Gov. policy is often motivated by a desire to help a specific group (ex: increase incomes of  farmers) b. economists must carefully analyze the effects of such policies to determine the actual effects rather than  what is desirable for political reasons 4 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 1.  Market Structure   a. Market Structure­ all features of a market that effect the behavior and performance of the firms within  the market i. # of sellers, extent of info, entry barriers, product differentiation b. Helps predict i. Firm behavior ii. Output iii. Efficiency iv. Price­costing margin 2.  Market Power  a. Market power­ a firm is said to have market power when the firm can influence the price of the product  or the terms in which the product is sold i. Competitive market? ▯ each firm will have, little or no market power ii. Non­competitive market? ▯ an individual firm will have a lot of market power. 3.  Perfectly competitive firm   a. Perfect Competition­ a market structure in which the decisions of individual buyers and sellers have no  effect on market price b. Perfectly competitive firm­ a firm that is such a small part of the total industry that it cannot affect  the price of the product or service that it sells i. Each firm… 1. “just a drop in the bucket” 2. has no market power ii. Price taker­ a competitive firm that must take the price of its product as given because the firm  cannot influence its price 5 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 1. Firm chooses output… a. Based on market price b. Independently from other firms i. EX: farmer growing corn iii. Why is a perfect competitor a price taker? 1. Large # of buyers & sellers 2. Homogenous product (corn, wheat) 3. Everyone has full access to price information 4. No barriers to entry or exit Free entry examples: iv. 1. Sandwich shop, sell crafts, photography, webpage, android apps 2. *Does not mean costless entry, just means anyone can start a firm in the industry,  assuming they have the funds v. Entry Barriers examples: 1. Car manufacturing, diamond mining, gasoline production 2. *Could try to create a firm but wouldn’t be successful 3. *Cost structure says large firms produce many outputs at low cost, so your small and  expensive firm wouldn’t succeed  4.  The demand curve of the perfect competitor  a. If the perfectly competitive firm is a price taker, selling a homogenous commodity with perfect substitutes,  then… ▯  i. An individual firm faces a perfectly elastic demand at the going market price 1. Will not be able to sell at a higher price 6 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 b. A competitive price is determined by the market price c. Demand curve for a producer of Titanium Batteries (secure digital cards from class) pg. 183 i. Q: how is the market (“going”) price established in a competitive market? 1. Answer: this price is established by the interaction of all the suppliers (firms) and all the  demanders ii. Perfect competitor accepts price as given: 1. Firm raises price, it sells nothing 2. Firm lowers its price, it earns less profit 5.  How much should the perfect competitor produce  a. Perfect competitor has to decide how much to produce i. Firm uses profit maximization model ii. The model assumes that firms attempt to maximize their total profits (or minimize losses)  1. Profit­ difference between total revenue & total costs a. Profit:Π  = TR – TC  b. Losses occur when profits are negative 2. TR = P x Q a. Firm doesn’t chose P, but does choose Q b. P is determined by market in perfect competition 3. TC = TFC + TVC 6.  (Graph Pg. 185) Finding optimal profit by looking at total costs and total revenues:  7 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 a. TR graph is linear because demand is perfect elastic b. “total” graph i. find biggest gap between TR & TC where TR > TC ii. 7.  (Graph Pg. 186) Finding optimal profit by using a marginal analysis:  a. “Marginal” Graph i. find output where MR= MC ii. b. Marginal Revenue: i. The change in total revenues divided by the change in output 1. MR =   ΔR /  Δ c. Marginal Cost: 8 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 i. The change in total cost divided by the change in output 1. MC =  ΔC /   Δ d. For a perfectly competitive firm, it is worth noting that i. MR = Price ii. ▯ why is this? 1. An individual firm cannot affect the market price, no matter how much it sells 2. Thus, an additional revenue received from selling an additional unit is just equal to that  market price iii.Profit maximization occurs at: 1. Output (Q) where… a. The “Gap” between TR & TC is the biggest  b. MR = MC 2. For a perfectly competitive firm, this means that profit maximization occurs where a. Choose output where  i. P= MR = MC 8.  Short Run Profits  a. Short run average profits are determined by comparing ATC with P at the profit­maximizing Q.  b. In the short run, the perfectly competitive firm can make either economic profits or economic losses.  c. To find out what our competitive individual secure digital cards producer is making in terms of profits in  the short run, we have to determine the excess of price above ATC i. Π  =  TR – TC = PQ – TC(q*) = q* (p* ­ STC(q*) / q*) ii. Π  = q* [p* ­ ATC (q*)] 1. Π = profits 2. q*= quantity (# of units produced)  3. p*= market price  4. ATC= ATC of producing q* units of output 5. [p*­ ATC(q*)] =  average profit per unit English▯ profits equals # of units sold multiplied by average profit per unit. 9.  (graph Pg. 188) graph of maximum profits and graph of minimum losses  a.  eigh  of rectangular box in previous figure represents… 9 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 i. profits per unit (avg Π) b.  ength represents… i. quantity product & sold c. when we multiply these two quantities, we get i. total economic profits (Π) 10.  (graph Pg. 189) Graph of competitive firm making an economic loss:  a. the short run break­even price and the short run shutdown price i. might continue to produce in the short run, but not in the long run  as long as the loss from staying in business is less than the loss from shutting down, the  1.     firm will continue to produce 2. we must consider ATC, AFC, AVC b. there is a difference between existing in the industry and shutting down i. Exits the industry: a firm exits the industry (goes out of business) when the owners sell its  assets, no more employees, no more business ii. Shutting down: a firm temporarily shuts down when it stops producing, (q = 0) but is still in  business 1. Ritas ice cream in winter, ski slope in summer 11.  How firm chooses what to produce: SR break­even & Shutdown Prices  a. Short run break even price: (Graphically shown ­ pg. 190) i. SR break even price­ the price at which a firms total revenues equal its total costs (both explicit  and implicit).  ii. Firm is just making a normal rate of return on its capital investment 1. Graphically­ the price such that  10 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 a. P=min (ATC 2. The firm will make positive economic profits if  a. P > min (ATC)  3. Firm will have negative economic profits (losses) if a. P  0 2. Graphically shown (pg. 190)  12.  Why produce if you are not making a profit?  11 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 a. Answer: better to cover some costs & have a small loss, than to cover no costs (fixed) and have a big loss. i. Cannot sell capital in short run b. * when economic profits are zero, a firm can still have positive accounting profits c. the firms short run supply curve in a competitive industry is its marginal cost curve at and above the point  of intersection with the AVC curve d. (Graph Pg. 191) i. Individual firms short run supply surve ii. iii. Given the price, the Q is determined where MC=MR iv. Short run supply =MC above min AVC 13.  The Long Run Industry Situation: Exit & Entry  a. Profits & losses act as signals for resources to enter an industry or to leave an industry. b. Signals­ compact ways of conveying information to economic decision makers  i. An effective signal not only conveys information but also provides the incentive to react  appropriately c. Economic profits: i. Signal that tells new competitive firms to enter the market d. Economic losses: i. Signal that tells existing firms to exit the market e. * profits act as signals, and help guide firs to make choices. Firms will respond to profit opportunities f. Markets have a tendency toward equilibrium (*firms are adjusting all the time)  i. At break even, resources will not enter or exit the market 12 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 g.  n competitive long run equilibrium, firms will make zero economic profits  h. In the long run, firms enter and leave the industry in response to profit opportunities  i. If economic profits are positive… 1. New firms will enter 2. Industry supply increases (shifts right)  3. Price falls until profits are zero ii. If economic profits are negative… 1. Existing firms will exit the industry  2. Industry supply decreases (shifts left) Price rises until profits are zero 3. 14.  Long run Equilibrium   a. In the long run, the firm can  i. change the scale of its plant 1. Adjusting its plant size in such a way that it has no further incentive to change a. It will do so until profits are maximized  b. In the long run, a competitive firm produces where price, marginal revenue, marginal cost, short run min  average cost, and long run min average costs are equal c. (graph pg. 193) Long run firm competitive equilibrium: d. 15.  Marginal Cost pricing   a. Marginal cost pricing­ a system of pricing in which the price is charged is equal to the opportunity cost  to society of producing one more unit of the good or service in question 13 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 i. The opportunity cost of production is the marginal cost to society b. Price is = to MC of last unit you produced i. P=MC c. Allocative efficiency­ level of output where P=MC i. This means that the marginal value to consumers equals the MC of production 1. We have produced “just the right amount”. Not too much, not too little d. Allocative inefficiency­ wrong amount produced, creating DWL i. Could mean that P > MC ii. Often the result of monopoly of externalities  Perfect Competition Supplement •  ong Run Decisions For a Perfectly Competitive Firm   • In the ling run, we now allow firms to enter and leave the industry in response to profit opportunities • If firms are making positive profits, then new firms will enter. • Profits are a signal for the entry of new firms.  The industry will expand.   • Market Supply shifts right à and price will fall until profits are zero. •  ovement to equilibrium in Long Run   • Firm entry caused by positive profits  • •  ong Run decisions for a perfectly competitive firm   • If firms are making negative profits, then existing firms will exit. • Losses are a signal for the exiting of firms.  The industry will contract (shrink). 14 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 • Market Supply shifts left ß and price will rise until profits are zero. • •  uick Summary   • With perfect competition, we have free entry. • Free entry means that anyone can enter the industry in response to profit opportunities. • Thus, if the industry is profitable, new firms will enter.  This increases supply and decreases prices,  lowering profits. • If the industry is experiencing losses, firms will exit.  This decreases supply and increases prices, increasing  profits for remaining firms. • As long as firms are entering and exiting, we are not in long run equilibrium. • In perfect competition, we move toward zero economic profit over time. •  ong Run Equilibrium   • So what then, is the Long­run equilibrium? •  e careful to note the differences between short run and long run equilibrium for pe fectly competitive  markets. • 3 conditions for long run equilibrium of a perfectly competitive firm:   o 1. Each firm is maximizing its profits.  Each firm chooses q*. o 2. The economic profit that each firm is making is equal to zero. o 3. All firms are content to stay in (or out of) the industry. • Condition 1 just says that firms will produce the level of output Q such that P = MR = MC. o Keep in mind we are still looking at a perfectly competitive analysis. • Conditions 2 and 3 imply that price is equal to the minimum ATC of each firm o P = min(ATC) for each firm 15 Ch. 23: Perfect Competition 05/01/2014 •  erfect competition long run equilibrium graph   • 16 Ch. 24: Monopoly 05/01/2014 1.  Recall from previous chapter (Perfect competition)  a. Why is market structure important?  i. It can help us examine firm behavior, industry output, efficiency (are we producing the best level of  output to minimize DWL?) and price­cost margins.  b. Market Power­ a firm is said to have market power if firm can influence the price of the product or the  terms in which the product is sold.  c. 2 rules for profit maximization i. apply to all market structure, not just perfect competition 1. a firm shouldn’t produce if revenues are less than total variable costs if the firm does produce a positive level of output, it should choose the level of output  2. (Q) such that MR=MC d. Profit rule: p = q* [P*­ATC(q*)] 2.  Overview of monopoly  a. A monopoly is exact opposite of perfectly competitive markets b. Monopoly­ a market containing a single firm c. Monopolist­ a firm that is the only seller in a market d. Biggest difference between monopolies and perfect competition i.  or a perfectly competitive market, in event of profits, new firms entered the industry in the long  run ii. When a monopolist makes profits, why don’t other firms join the industry (which would lower the  market price and reduce profit)? 1. Answer: something is preventing new firm entry into the market e. Entry barrier­ any barrier to the entry of new firms into an industry i. Barrier may be natural or created 17 Ch. 24: Monopoly 05/01/2014 3.  Types of entry barriers  a. (1). Owning all the resources i. if you own all the resources or inputs used to make a good, you are monopoly producer of that good ii. no one else can gather resources to make a substitute good 1. EX: 1902 DeBeers controlled 90% of the worlds diamond production b. (2). Economies of scale & natural monopoly i. firm has decreasing average costs over a large range of outputs  ii.  arge firms are more efficie t than small ones (lower Average Costs) iii.  ifficul  for other firms to enter and compete  b/c a new firm usually starts by producing a low output level with high AC 1. iv. cable TV or town utility v. natural monopoly 1. when AC for entire industry are lowest when there is only 1 firm, that firm is a natural  monopoly 2. just “natural” that there is only one firm due to cost structures  a. high fixed costs & or set up costs b. very low marginal costs 3. happens when there are large economies of scale 4. (Graph Pg. 196) Natural Monopoly illustrating economies of scale a. high fixed (or setup) costs and Low MC  b. downward sloping ATC 18 Ch. 24: Monopoly 05/01/2014 5.  Created Barriers to Entry­ legal or Gov. restrictions  a. (1). Patents i. Patent­ intellectual property ii.  overnment g anted monopoly b/c of a patent iii. Rational behind Patents 1. Incentive to innovate 2. Rewards creativity 3. Would anyone innovate if profits were “stolen” (2). Gov. granted exclusive franchise  b. i. Usually given to utilities  c. (3). Tariffs  i. Tariffs­ taxes on imported goods ii. Rational behind tariffs 1. Protect local industries d. (4). Quality standards i. Physicians & lawyers e. (5). Barriers of entry created by the firm i. Buying up all the resources ii. Predatory pricing iii. Threats, sabotage 19 Ch. 24: Monopoly 05/01/2014 f. Entry barriers are significant b/c in competitive industries, profits attract new entrants, and these new  firms lower the profits of incumbent firms i. In a monopoly market, profits will exist as long as entry barriers keep out new entrants  g. Entry barriers can be avoided by production process innovation and the creation of new goods and services i. *the new goods and services must be relatively similar to the monopoly’s product, or act as substitute 1. this will occur in very long run 6.  monopoly demand curve  the market is the entire industry and the monopolist faces entire industry demand curve a. i. curve is downward sloping ii. the monopolist is the industry b. Think of D­Curve as the “average Revenue” curve i. AR = TR/Q = p*Q/Q = p ii. For linear demand, MR has same vertical intercept but twice the slope iii. Demand P=a­bQ iv. MR=a­ZbQ c. Since price is given by the position on the D curve, it follows that the D curve is also the monopolists AR  curve i. (Graph Pg. 199) AR curve and MR curve together d. * in perfectly competitive markets, the MR curve was horizontal for any given firm and was equal to the  price i. since price is always positive, this implied that MR > 0 ii. for a downward sloping D Curve that is faced by a monopolist, the MR can be less than zero!  1. MR = (change) TR/ (change) Q 20 Ch. 24: Monopoly 05/01/2014 iii. With a downward sloping D Curve, if firm wants to sell more output, it must lower the price iv. For now assume the firm sells all units at the same price 1. *TR can be found by making a rectangle using a point on the D Curve a. graphically: TR = price x Quantity 7.  (Graph Pg. 200) elasticity graph and marginal revenue  8.  (Graph Pg. 201) Ex average & marginal revenue curves  a. if we assume the monopoly sells all units at the same price, it can only sell more units if it lowers the price  for all units i. then gain will be more units sold b. the loss will be previously sold units now being sold at lower prices c. if the loss incurred from selling more units is bigger than the gain, then we have negative MR 9.  Profit Maximization for a monopoly  a. MR curve for a monopoly will be downward sloping  i. We assume cost curves are shaped the same for a monopolist and perfectly competitive firm b. (Graph Pg. 202) maximizing profits graph c. if a monopoly chooses to maximize profit, it will i. produce the Q* such that MR=MC ii.  ame rule a perfectly competitive firm follows 1. for a monopoly, at the Q* level of output, P > MR=MC 21 Ch. 24: Monopoly 05/01/2014 2. compare to perfect competition where P=MR+MC 3. monopolist have highest prices & low Q 10.  (Graph Pg. 203) monopoly profit  11.  Supply  a. monopolist price depends on the shape of the D curve (which affects the MR Curve) i. the monopolists profit maximizing Q* is not necessarily higher when it raises its price b. a monopoly can only maximize profit at a single level of output c. MR is based on the D Curve, and the firm knows its cost functions and chooses Q* accordingly  d. The monopolist does not have a unique relationship between price and quantity supplied  i. ▯ a monopolist  does not have a supply curve 12.  Efficiency  a. (Graph Pg. 204) b. production is efficient when overall welfare (CS + PS) is maximized.  i. Implies there is no DWL ii. A monopolists output is less than that of perfect competition, and DWL is created c.  xistence of DWL s ows the monopoly creates inefficiency in the market i. The inefficiency is a result of a production level that is less than the allocatively efficient level of  output where P=MC. 1. Not producing as much 22 Ch. 24: Monopoly
More Less

Related notes for ECON 102

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.