MUSIC 0711 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Lil Hardin Armstrong, Mary Lou Williams, Sister Rosetta Tharpe

93 views11 pages
17 Apr 2017
School
Department

Document Summary

Terms (look up great black migration in book) Access(having access to market), africanization (making something more african), bantu rain song, black codes(code. Noir was established to govern the interaction between slave and slave owner, varied from state to state), black swan(first black record label), 12-bar blues(i,iv,i,i,iv,iv,i,i,v,iv,i,v), 4 schools of the blues(delta(mississippi, alabama, louisiana, gulf area) Delta(one of the 4 schools of blues covering mississippi, Awakening(started early 1800s in kentucky, three categories of music during great awakening; gospels, spirituals, jubilees), jubilee (a sacred or secular piece performed in an african- American style to announce good news), lindy hop (a fusion of jazz breakaway and the charlston) , melisma (group of notes song to one syllable of text), minstrel show (show proper, olio, Playlet), parade drums (one of the first instruments used in jazz), phonograph (type of recording), piano roll (a music storage medium used to operate a player piano.