01:920:101 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Macrosociology, W. E. B. Du Bois, Cultural Universal

71 views11 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 1: introduction to sociology: what is sociology, the systematic study of human social life, interaction, and culture in groups rather than individual. Study of society things. /people a. i. a. ii. a. iii. a. iv. a. v. Personal troubles: occur within the character of the individual and within the range of his immediate relations with others. Intersection of history (public knowledge; the past) and biography (self) f. i. Social norms are the rules of behavior that are considered acceptable in a group or society. People who do not follow these norms may be shunned or suffer some kind of consequences. Norms change according to the environment or situation and may change or be modified over time. example: durkheim"s suicide theory. People who committed suicide were mostly unmarried, childless and protestant. Protestants > catholics: what is anomie, emile durkheim, situation in which social norms lose their hold over individual behavior, feeling of aimlessness or despair provoked by modern social life, related to suicide rates d. i.