LIN 200 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: African American Vernacular English, Consonant Cluster, Zero Copula

370 views9 pages

Document Summary

Socioeconomic class: occupation, level of education, income, residency. Sociolects: speech varieties that characterize people from social classes/ethnic groups. Standard english: official educated variety of english; lacks stigmatized linguistic features. Linguistic variables: elements of pronunciation/grammar that distinguish regional/social dialects. England schoolkids: typical boys use -in" vs. girls/model boys use -ing. Structural factors: dependant on part of speech/position in sentence. Can be counted to find correlation with social factors (age/ethnicity/class) Lie, ride, wine: typical [a ] vs. non-standard [ ] Hound, mouse, now: typical [a ] vs. non-standard [ ] Fancy varieties that have /r/-lessness: british/boston (brahmin) Vernacular varieties that have /r/-lessness: ny/boston (ne) Pronoun usage: me and john vs. john and i went to the store. Subject-verb agreement: my parents was vs. were there. Pronominal apposition: my mom, [she] works at stony brook. Ny /r/-lessness: working class omit /r/ more than the middle class. Ny /d/: tendency to add soft /d/ in front of "th":

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers