[CRS 183] - Final Exam Guide - Everything you need to know! (29 pages long)

124 views29 pages

Document Summary

Four domains of discussing rhetoric: discourse, definitions: a. i. A particular utterance : consider: what kind of discourse is rhetoric, knowledge, what is knowledge? a. i. A socially protected idea: consider: is rhetoric knowledge, media a. Kinetic: media is where communication/rhetoric can be, power, definitions: a. i. Mostly oral rhetoric, but literacy rates were rising. With rhetoric came democracy: democracy = of the people, rhetoric = influencing the people. Agoras: public sphere aka. public spaces for speaking/oral rhetoric. Teachers of philosophy and rhetoric, paid for work: expected to be itinerant, meaning well-travelled". Sophist: sophos, meaning wise. , later used as a pejorative, synonymous with deceitful . Wrote encomium of helen, aka defense of helen discussed the power of rhetoric: isocrates. Discussed ethical rhetoric and education: aspasia. Immigrant who worked as a teacher to support herself. Knowledge: theory that it"s impossible to know truth; humanity is flawed. Power: rhetoric as a challenging political tool. Wrote phaedrus: stressed rhetoric as philosophy.