1) Merkel disks, Ruffini endings, Pacinian corpuscles, and Meissner corpuscles carry
2) ___________ allow the brain to be constantly aware of the status of body and its
relation to the environment.
a. Rapidly adapting receptors
b. Phasic receptors
c. Tonic receptors
d. Visceral receptors
3) The neurotransmitters released by primary afferent sensory neurons to transmit pain
a. Glutamate and endorphin
b. Endorphin and substance P
c. Glutamate and substance P
d. Endorphin and serotonin
4) ____________________ communication best describes the use of chemicals for
cell to cell communication within a tissue, while ____________ communication best
describes the release of a hormone to act on target cells of a different tissue.
a. Endocrine : Paracrine
b. Synaptic: Paracrine
c. Direct : Synaptic
d. Paracrine : Endocrine
5) Which of the following is NOT a second messenger?
6) _________ can diffuse through the lipid bilayer of the plasma membrane a. Steroid hormones
b. Thyroid hormone