UGC 112: World Civilizations IIMid-Term Exam Review
◦ sickness that killed off majority of population
◦ Conqueror in northern China
◦ Highway rest stop that helped to spread the plague
◦ Chinese navigator in the Ming dynasty
◦ Traveled in South east Asia
◦ New ship helped to navigate around the world faster.
Henry “The Navigator”:
Treaty of Tordesillas:
◦ Wanted to convert to christianity.
◦ Spain was a new country
◦ Spanish inquesition insured christianity was only religion in spain
Requirement of 1512
Bartolomé de las Casas
◦ Wants to take over Europe as a catholic empire.
◦ Started Lutherism
Council of Trent
cuius religio eius regio
◦ Invoked raisin d'état during thirty year war
Peace of Westphalia
St. Peter’s Basilica
mercantilism joint-stock company
Bank of England
Lloyd’s Coffee House
East India Companies
Bank of EnglandTatars
“the Terrible”Catherine the Great
Suleiman the Great
• Sent to palace of Instanbul to be trained
• Sent home to police
• Loyal to the people but also people in power.
1) On what grounds can it be argued that globalization began with the Mongol Empire? Is this persuasive?
2) Describe the rise of Europe’s position in the world from 1400 to 1