PSIO 201 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Gigantism, Synovial Joint, Scleroprotein

30 views10 pages

Document Summary

Components of the skeletal system: bones, cartilage, ligaments, connective tissues, each bone is an organ. Skeletal system functions: support, protection, mineral storage, triglyceride (fat) storage (yellow marrow, red and white blood cell formation called hemopoiesis (red marrow) e. i. Children have more red marrow than adults: leverage (assistance in movement) Divisions of the skeletal system: axial a. i. Attached to axial skeletal (legs, arms, joints, etc) b. ii. Sesame seed shape, improve mechanical advantage of muscles e. ii. Bones within skull, in between big bones of the skull f. ii. Flat bone anatomy: flat bone outside, spongey bone in the middle, periosteum lines outer surface. Periosteum: connective tissue membrane covering external surface of bone, continuous with tendons, connective tissue of joints b. i. Continuous with capsule at the end of the bone: attached to bone matrix via perforating fibers, 2 layers d. i. Outer fiberous later (protection of bone tissue) d. ii. Canals of compact bone: contains osteogenic cells important for bone growth and remodeling.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers