PSIO 201 Midterm: Unit 3-Muscular

54 views11 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 17 introduction to the muscular system: muscle structure and function, skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle, smooth muscle, all share same function: generate tension. Functions of skeletal muscle: locomotion, facial expression, posture and body position, regulation of body temperature (shivering) Skeletal muscle contraction is voluntary: requires nervous system input, some can be automatic, but we can change their activity b. i. Ex: diaphragm usually automatic but you can decide to take a deep. Basics of human movement breath/hold your breath: muscles pull on bones (do not push, origin place where the muscles starts on a bone (stays stationary) c, the insertion moves towards the origin (see diagram on lecture notes) Insertion the place where muscle ends on a bone (moves towards the origin) In standard anatomically position, everything is extended except the feet a. i. a. ii. When naming a movement, include the action and the name of the segment that moves a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2. Adduction of the thigh: flexion & extension b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers