PSY 405 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Central Nervous System, Neurogenesis, Frontal Lobe

81 views9 pages

Document Summary

First week: correlation vs. causation, correlation does not equal causation. Behavior is applied to both etiology and brain development: person first language. Has to do with labels and classification. A person has a disorder; the disorder doesn"t have the person. Example: a child with adhd, not an adhd child: nature and nurture perspectives, nature a. i. We are programmed to develop language and other cognitive skills a. iii. Any capabilities or limitations are innate: nurture b. i. Argument that environmental factors have the strongest influence on development b. ii. Environmental factors include: family, school, peers, culture: behaviorism. Jean piaget- cognitive approaches grew in response to behaviorism. Development influenced by genetics and environment: piaget a. i. Children have no inborn knowledge or ideas, but actively construct new understandings of the world in stage like manner based on their experiences a. ii. 2. Organize patter of thought/action that takes different forms at different ages a. ii. 3.