PSY 201 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Brainstem, Chemical Synapse, Grey Matter

87 views8 pages

Document Summary

Psy 201: mind and brain study guide: exam 1. Terms/concepts/names which you should know (organized by topic): Introduction and history of psychology: monism vs. dualism, monism-hobbes (british, 1588-1679). Conscious thought is an an epiphenomenon- i. e. , a product of the brain"s machinery; it does not cause things to happen: dualism- descartes (french, 1596-1650). There are 2 kinds of substance, mental substance (the soul) and physical substance (the body). The soul gets info from the body then makes decisions and directs the body. Conscious thought is a property of the soul. Only humans have souls: nature (innateness/genetics/biology) vs. nurture (experience/environment/culture) localization of function physiology (e. g. , Whole organized forms are meaningful units of consciousness, not elementary parts i. e. the whole is greater than the sum of its parts : behaviorism watson, skinner, watson (1912) reaction against introspection as a method. Ideas and mental states (i. e. the mind) are not worthy of study.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers