[GEY 3601] Comprehensive spring guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com
Factors influencing aging
1. Explain what influences (2 for each) the aging rate for each of the
following aging factors
1. proper nutrition – low calorie intake shows positive signs of
better health in the long run.
2. regular exercise- is a good stress manager and allows for
strengthening of the body and mind
b. exercise (physical and mental)
1. physical- allows the body to stay tone and active stimulation
slows the degenerative effect of aging.
2. mental- allows the mind to function at a higher rate. If you
don’t use it, you lose it.
1. sun exposure- kills skin cells faster
2. air pollution- kills cells faster causing aging
1. parental age
1. the older the parents, the more vulnerable the fetus will
be to genetic mutation, which cause aging to vary.
2. if parents live a long live, your genetics with help you
hav a beter chance of living longer
2. late onset diseases (two examples)
1. osteoarthritis- degenerative inflammatory bone disease
2. Alzheimer’s disease- degenerative memory lose
2. a) Explain how Hayflick’s Limit theory may explain loss of vitality and
the onset of senescence observed in the aging curve (increase and
decrease in vitality). c) How does the Telomere theory explains
Hayflick’s Limit c) How does the Telomere theory explain longevity of
cells? See article Staying Young.
find more resources at oneclass.com