PSY 2012 Study Guide - Final Guide: Classical Conditioning, Operant Conditioning, Observational Learning

87 views5 pages
26 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor
CHAPTER 5
Define the following terms:
1. Learning: relatively change in behavior due to experience with an environment.
2. Genes: provide us with innate (inborn) capacity to perform behavior
3. Classical conditioning: (occurs most subconsciously, so it is so difficult to unlearn
something by will) also called Pavlovian conditioning is the most primitive form of
associate learning (based on reflex).
4. Conditioned stimulus: (CS) previously neutral stimulus
5. Unconditioned response: (CR) a learned response to the conditioned stimulus (CS)
6. Unconditioned stimulus: (UCS) unconditioned = “unlearned.” atomically produces the
reflex
7. Generalization: less specific: the tendency to respond to a stimulus that is similar to the
original conditioned stimulus
8. Discrimination: more specific: occurs when an organism learns to respond to different
stimuli in different ways
9. Plasticity: ability to recover lost function from damage
10. Higher order learning: multiple conditioned stimulus and sequences before UCS
11. Spontaneous recovery: the conditioned response can briefly reappear when the original
CS returns, although the response is usually weak and short-lived.
12. Intermittent reinforcement: (operational conditioning) occasional reward
13. Cognitive learning:
14. Social modeling:
15. Observational learning:
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Fill in the following tables:
Classical Conditioning
Step Description Example
1 UCS  UCR Food  drool
2 CS UCS  UCR Bell Food  drool
3 Repeat 25 times
4 CS  CR Bell  Drool
Operant Conditioning
(Fill in the blanks with the steps and possible consequences. Also finish the example)
Stimulus Response Consequence
Driving Good
Within speed limit
+ reinforce
new car
- reinforce
lower insurance
Bad
Speeding
+ punishment
ticket
- punishment
take away lisence
Schedule of Reinforcement
Type Description
Fixed interval Consequence after known time
Variable interval Consequence after unknown time
Fixed ratio Consequence after certain # of times
Variable ratio Action performed unknown times before consequence
Try the following challenge problems:
1. TRUE OR FALSE. All changes in behavior are caused by learning.
False. Illness, injuries, emotion, drugs, sleepiness
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Cs returns, although the response is usually weak and short-lived: intermittent reinforcement: (operational conditioning) occasional reward, cognitive learning, social modeling, observational learning: Operant conditioning (fill in the blanks with the steps and possible consequences. Try the following challenge problems: true or false. All changes in behavior are caused by learning. Step 4: going for walks makes my dog really happy. Every time i take him for a walk, i wear tennis shoes and gym shorts. Now, any time i wear tennis shoes and gym shorts my dog gets really excited. Operant conditioning: you have to decide what your response"s gonan be. In operant conditioning, to increase a good behavior, use reinforcement. To decrease a bad behavior, use punishment: match the consequences with the correct type, getting a ticket, getting a new car, lowering your insurance costs, losing your license a+p b+r c-r d-p. Before learning has occurred, the consequence doesn"t always have to follow the response.