POLS 1402 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Noncoding Dna, Cell Nucleus, Cytoskeleton
0 views1 pages
Chap 27 The Eukaryotes Practice quiz
1. Why do mitochondria and chloroplasts have relatively small genomes?
A. Over time, much of their nucleic acid has migrated to the host cell nucleus
B. They lack non-coding DNA
C. Their bacterial ancestors had small genomes
D. They do not need many genes to function
2. How old are the earliest fossils of eukaryotes ?
A. 1.8 billion years
B. 1.2 billion years
C. 800 million years
D. 200 million years
3. What causes amoeboid feeding cells of cellular slime molds to aggregate into a
large multicellular 'slug'?
4. Why is photosynthesis widely but discontinuously distributed throughout the
A. Photosynthesis was acquired early in evolutionary time but then lost
B. Photosynthesis was acquired multiple times through endosymbiosis
C. All eukaryotes are capable of photosynthesis, but it is repressed in most cases
D. Some eukaryotes evolved photosynthetic pathways separate from chloroplasts
5. Which of the following enabled eukaryotes to evolve complex life cycles and
programs of multicellular development?
A. binary fission
B. complex patterns of gene regulation
C. a dynamic cytoskeleton
D. sexual reproduction
Now go back through these and answer “why is that the correct answer?” to each.
In other words, support your decision.