PSYC 7 Study Guide - Final Guide: Imaginary Audience, Personal Fable, Egocentrism

26 views4 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Identity & self-esteem: erikson"s theory: identity achievement vs. role confusion a. i. Balancing between selecting a single self vs. trying out many possible selves: phases of identity search b. i. Individual is overwhelmed by the task of achieving an identity and does little to accomplish the task b. ii. The individual has a status determined by adults rather than by personal exploration b. iii. The individual is examining different alternatives but has yet to find one that"s satisfactory b. iv. The individual has explored alternative and has deliberately chosen a specific identity: characteristics of thinking c. i. Recognize other"s feelings but only care about their own c. ii. Think their peers are constantly watching and judging them c. iii. Teenagers" tendency to believe no one has ever felt what they have c. iv. Bad things only happen to others and they are invulnerable: ethnic identity d. i. Then explore the cultural tradition and their heritage. From elementary to middle self-esteem increases and stabilizes e. ii.