COMM 261 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Twitter, Trust Law, News Values

143 views39 pages
12 Oct 2018
School
Course
Professor
COMM 261
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 39 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Comm  Final Eam
Otoe th- Famin the Nes
What tpes o ames ae in the nes?
Ho do ames aet ou intepetation o the nes?
Famin- ames ae the ental oanizin ideas o sto lines that poide meanin to unoldin eents the
anle
Anle o the patiula sto, appoah that the jounalist is takin
- NK Eample: theat, US o NK esponsiilit? Tump’s esponse/teets
- Famin inluenes ho the audiene thinks aout an issue. Identiin hat pats o an issue ae
eleant and impotant
- Famin an aet puli opinion on issues
- Fames an inluene suppot o opposition
Hihlihts hih pats o a sto ae impotant, hih pats o a sto an audiene needs to think aout
 soues o media ames ame uildin
. Soial noms and alues
. Oanizational pessues and onstaints e.. eliane on oiial soues
. Pessue om politiians and inteest oups
. Jounalisti outines e.. neutalit and ojetiit
. Ideoloial oientations o oldie o jounalists
Tpes o Fames 
Episodi: ous on the indiidual- a speial ase stud shot-tem
Lead people to hold the indiidual esponsile o the polem
Speii peson suein as a esult o healthae/unemploment
Themati:  ous on the lae soial polem lon-tem
Lead people to see soiet as the ause and enouaes a olletie esponse
Fous on lae soial stutue on h people ae stulin to ind jos in eneal
Tpes o Fames 
State: hoseae - ho is innin, ho is losin, politis as a ame & ompetition . eletions
oeed as a ame/omp
Competition and dama eteen politial atos
Poli is lost
Poli: Pos and ons o altenatie hoies- detailed inomation aout issues
Famin entie issue athe than sain ho is innin, poidin moe inomation aout
issues.
Nes oeae o eletions and politial issues is oten amed as state o poli
Hoseae oeae moe likel duin eletions - % o eletion oeae as hose ae, % poli
Polems ith the ame/hoseae ame
Fouses on elite onlit
Lean less aout impotant issues
Hade to hold politiians aountale
Cnial aout politiians and politis in eneal
Tpes o Fames 
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Ethial/moal s. Pamati
Nes media tend to onstut issues in tems o opposin ihts/moal piniples, as opposed to
eonomis o pamatis
E: Chalottesille- ee speeh s. puli ode
People ho see the ee speeh ame miht suppot the iht to potest moe than those ho see the
puli ode ame
E: toleane o hate oups eedom aies dependin on ee speeh s. pui ode ame
Tpes o Fames
One-Sided: onl oes one pespetie on the issue
E: the a in Ia lieated man Iais
To- Sided: oes to pespeties alaned ames
E: the a in Ia lieated man Iais ut the osts ee e hih o the Ameian people
Wh the jounalisti nom o ojetiit an e polemati
Jounalists adhee to nom o ojetiit ainess, alane, neutalit
Means oth sides o an issue ae epoted and et eual attention
Not all issues neessail hae to sides- miht lead to inomational ias o distotion
False alane and loal amin
What is the polem ith alaned oeae, i.e. to-sided epots o he said/she said
Limits o Famin Eets
Fames must ome om a edile soue
Eitin alues, elies, dispositions ma limit amin eets e.. attitudes toad aotion
Famin eets ae not uniom
Man nes stoies poide a mi o ames- to sided messaes
Ne Noms and Fame Eets
These dominant nes noms o ousin on speii episodes oe oade themes, politial state
oe poli, mattes o piniple oe pamatis, and alas adhein to ojetiit all edue itizen
ompetene
What does this sa aout the ok o jounalists? Ho miht the hane?
Otoe d- Identit and Nes Coeae
Does the nes pepetuate steeotpes o minoit oups?
What ae the onseuenes o steeotpial oeae o minoit oups?
Steeotpes and pejudie ased in theo o soial identit?
Soial Identit Theo
To oost ou sel-imae and esteem, e ompae ouseles to othe oups
Soial ateoization  soial identiiation  soial ompaison
Soial ateoization- ateoizin helps us intepet and eplain ou soial enionments and
ehaios. This is hee pejudie and steeotpin eins
Puttin ouseles into dieent ateoies/oups ased on ho e see ouseles
Soial Identiiation- adopt identit o oup and aept it's noms, ultue, and alues
Uniesit o Mihian- deelop emotional attahment to oup, notie dieenes eteen
in and out oup, sel- esteem is tied to oup, at in as ou think the oup ats
Unlock document

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class