ISL 372 Final: Exam 2 Review

77 views81 pages
28 Apr 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Exam 2 Review:
Article 17: Fashion, Anti-Fashion, Non-Fashion and Symbolic Capital: The Uses of Dress
Among Muslim Minorities in Finland
Introduction:
‘eseah ito the fashioale hija ad odest fashio oth i Musli ajoit outies
and among Muslim minorities in Europe and North America, has recently become an important
topic within fashion studies.
In such strategies as fashion, anti-fashion, and non-fashion, dress becomes a tool for
establishing a variety of class, age, and group related social positions through displaying
symbolic capital.
Muh has ee itte aout the podutio, etailig, ad osuptio of Islai fashio,
everyda uses of oth fashioale ad ufashioale fos of the hija, ad the
eegee of a gloal Islai fashio sste.
What remains markedly under-eseahed is the hijas elatioship to idiiduals ultual,
religious, and symbolic capitals and associated social positions.
Questions to do with cultural capital, status, and class are particularly relevant in a European
context where Muslim women face challenges due to their high levels of social visibility, a
situation in part created because thei eligious lothig aks the out as diffeet fo the
non-Muslim majority.
Context and Informants:
In the history of Muslim migration to Europe, Finland is a latecomer.
According to one recent estimate, there are 50-60,000 Muslims in a country of 5.4 million
inhabitants.
Thee is o foal legislatio egulatig the uses of Islai dess, ut Filads Muslis fae
both hardening anti-immigrant public attitudes and a political arena increasingly influenced by
anti-immigration sentiments.
Muslims in Finland are ethnically diverse.
Somalis are the largest and most visible group of Muslims in Finland, and also the most
discriminated against.
A growing group of Muslims in Finland is Finnish converts to Islam.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 81 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
The data in this article was gathered in the city of Helsinki in 2011-2012.
Semi-structured interviews and participant observation was used to obtain a variety of
data.
Interviewees: 16 Somali women ages between 19-45, and 20 Finnish women, ranging
from 19 to 61 years old.
The Somalis were first and second-generation migrants who had arrived in Finland in the 1990s
and 200s.
Of the Finns, some were recent converts to Islam, others had lived several decades as Muslims
and others again were adult daughters of Finnish converts.
The economic position of Somalis in Finland tends to be relatively poor.
Unemployment within the community is high and for many women full-time motherhood is a
desirable alternative.
Students in Finland are entitled to state-funded student grants, but especially in Helsinki the
relative value of this sponsorship is low.
Finnish women were both capable and willing to spend more on their clothes than Somali
women.
Behavior viewed as vain is often considered socially reprehensible for Finnish women, and
while the importance of a tidy appearance is recognized, being avowedly not interested in
fashion is a form of acceptable social behavior.
Anti-Fashion, Non-Fashion, Islamic Fashion and Cultural Capital:
Fashion as a form of social behavior is about making comparisons between individuals and
groups, and about individuals and groups gaining social status in comparison to others.
Anti-fashion styles primarily seek to be different from certain forms of fashion which are
considered superficial, rather than necessarily involving the rejection of fashion per se.
Non-fashion the individual indifference to fashion.
Anti-fashion must self-consciously reject fashion.
Fashion can be rejected for a variety of reasons:
Moral
o Condemnation of vanity
o Waste or sexual (im)morality
Unlock document

Feminist
Class/sub-group related
Anti-fashio a also e a fo of ejetig pesued fashio itihood hih is see as
undermining individual self-determination by blindly following commercial fashion trends.
Muslims criticizing fashion often use secular arguments, such as Marxist, feminist or
environmentalist arguments to challenge fashion phenomena.
Aodig to “iel, dessig i a ae that is osiousl agaist fashio is sipl
another expression of the same principle of fashion that functions to both differentiate and
assimilate people.
Islai fashio shos hae faed seee itiis, fashioale hija stles hae ee
challenged as immodest, and certain styles, perceived as inappropriate, have been condemned.
The veil can be both fashionable and anti-fashion simultaneously, and distinguishing between
fashion and anti-fashion in this regard is far from simple.
Yet it is the case that the hijab to some extent has been transformed for a conscious anti-
fashion statement associated with the political revival of Islam in the 1970s to a fashionable
object favored by middle-class women in different parts of the world today.
Fashion and anti-fashion strategies are always profoundly social, in that they are preformed to
audiences, with the aim of being recognized and valued by others.
Cultural capital refers to those cultural resources that an individual can draw upon in a range of
contexts.
Can be embodied
o Bodily dispositions
o Actions
Pose
Movement
Appearance
Can be objectified
o Artefacts
Dress
Accessories
In order to appear fashionable, an individual needs to cultivate a certain amount of cultural
capital that is recognized as fashionable and is valued by others as such.
Religious capital is a particular form of cultural capital, formed of competence in terms of
religious practice and religious knowledge
Unlock document

Document Summary

Article 17: fashion, anti-fashion, non-fashion and symbolic capital: the uses of dress. Esea(cid:396)(cid:272)h i(cid:374)to the (cid:862)fashio(cid:374)a(cid:271)le hija(cid:271)(cid:863) a(cid:374)d (cid:862)(cid:373)odest fashio(cid:374)(cid:863) (cid:271)oth i(cid:374) musli(cid:373) (cid:373)ajo(cid:396)it(cid:455) (cid:272)ou(cid:374)t(cid:396)ies and among muslim minorities in europe and north america, has recently become an important topic within fashion studies. In such strategies as fashion, anti-fashion, and non-fashion, dress becomes a tool for establishing a variety of class, age, and group related social positions through displaying symbolic capital. Mu(cid:272)h has (cid:271)ee(cid:374) (cid:449)(cid:396)itte(cid:374) a(cid:271)out the p(cid:396)odu(cid:272)tio(cid:374), (cid:396)etaili(cid:374)g, a(cid:374)d (cid:272)o(cid:374)su(cid:373)ptio(cid:374) of (cid:862)isla(cid:373)i(cid:272) fashio(cid:374)(cid:863), everyda(cid:455) uses of (cid:271)oth (cid:862)fashio(cid:374)a(cid:271)le(cid:863) a(cid:374)d (cid:862)u(cid:374)fashio(cid:374)a(cid:271)le(cid:863) fo(cid:396)(cid:373)s of the hija(cid:271), a(cid:374)d the e(cid:373)e(cid:396)ge(cid:374)(cid:272)e of a glo(cid:271)al (cid:862)isla(cid:373)i(cid:272) fashio(cid:374) s(cid:455)ste(cid:373). (cid:863) What remains markedly under-(cid:396)esea(cid:396)(cid:272)hed is the hija(cid:271)(cid:859)s (cid:396)elatio(cid:374)ship to i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals(cid:859) (cid:272)ultu(cid:396)al, religious, and symbolic capitals and associated social positions. In the history of muslim migration to europe, finland is a latecomer. According to one recent estimate, there are 50-60,000 muslims in a country of 5. 4 million inhabitants.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers