SOC-100 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Social Mobility, Ritualism In The Church Of England, The Affluent Society

69 views11 pages
16 Nov 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Gender: social construction tells people what they ought to be based on their sex. Gender identity: being male or female: gender and sex don"t always coincide. Gender (sex) roles: cultural norms for being male/female. Biological processes: am i female/male because of biology: or. Social learning: do i identify as male/female because how i"ve been treated through my life: nature vs. nurture, xy: male xx: female. Intersexual people (hermaphrodites): possessing some combination of female and male genitalia. Transsexuals: people who feel emotionally linked to one sex, but are biologically the other. Intersexed: the condition of being born with genitalia or reproductive anatomy that is difficult to label as male or female, and/or developing secondary sexual characteristics (boobs, hair, hormones, voices) or which combine feature of both sexes. The term hermaphrodite had been used in the past to refer to intersex persons, but that term is now considered by many to be negative and inaccurate.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers