BUSI 4705 (7)
Chapter 5

Essentials of Business Ethics, chapter 5.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
BUSI 4705
Diane Huberman- Arnold

Essentials of Business Ethics – Chapter 5: Ethical Decision-Making Framework Employees need to know how to independently derive a moral answer to business issues  Frameworks. Rotary International’s Four-Way Test Of the things we think, say, or do: 1. Is it the Truth? 2. Is it Fair to all concerned 3. Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships? 4. Will it be Beneficial to all concerned? Raytheon’s Ethics Quick Test When faced with an ethical dilemma: - Is the action legal? - Is it right? - Who will be affected? - Does it fit Raytheon’s values? - How will I feel afterwards? - How would it look in the newspaper? - Will it reflect poorly on the company? The Ethics Decision-Making Framework The two mentioned above are not philosophically systematic. The moral philosophy literature provides a more systematic approach for deriving moral conclusions. Some ethical reasons are more morally acceptable than others. An ethics decision making framework, parallels Lawrence Kohlberg’s stage of moral reasoning: 1. Who are the people affected by the action? (stakeholder analysis, this helps to inform the ethical analysis) 2. Is the action beneficial to me? 3. Is the action supported by my social group? 4. Is the action supported by national laws? 5. Is the action for the greatest good of the greatest number of people affected by it? 6. Are the motives behind the action based on truthfulness and respect/integrity toward each stakeholder?  If the answers to 5&6 is yes, this action is the most ethical  If the answers to 5&6 are mixed, this action is moderately ethical  This framework can help managers reach a moral conclusion regarding the rightness or wrongness of any decision  The answers to question 5&6 point managers in the direction of the most moral decision Five Ethical Theories Egoism – how does the action relate to me? Furthers my interests right, conflicts with my interests wrong. Social Group Relativism – how does the action relate to my social groups? Conforms with group’s norms  right etc. Cultural relativism – How does the action relate to the national culture, particularly its laws? Utilitarianism – How does the action relate to everyone who is affected by it? Beneficial to the greatest number  right. Deontology – how does the action relate to my duty to become an ideal human being who treats others in the way that I would want to be treated? Does it treat every stakeholder truthfully and with respect and integrity? Egoism It is a morally acceptable ethical theory, as long as the pursuit of self-interest does not collapse into selfishness or generate harm. According to Rand the best thing for the common good is to become an individual of high integrity willing to pursue one’s self-interest at all costs. If egoism is the predominant ethical theory, then the more politically powerful or astute employee gets the scarce resource, to the detriment of organizational performance. Social Group Relativism Associating oneself with the ethical standards of a group is often considered to be a higher stage of moral reasoning than egoism. Social Group Relativism is a common ethical theory. If social group relativism is the predominant ethical theory, then the more politically powerful or astute department or social group gets the scarce resource, to the detriment of organizational performance. Cultural Relativism If the action conforms with the law, it is right. Laws are established through two distinct processes: 1. Congr
More Less

Related notes for BUSI 4705

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.