CHST 2503 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Canadian Labour Congress, Pauperism, Phil Mccoleman

98 views4 pages

Document Summary

Important notes child studies week 1 reading http://artsites. uottawa. ca/strata/doc/strata3_109-136. pdf. Between the 1830s and 1940s, more than 100,000 children were imported into canada through the juvenile immigration movement and apprenticed or indentured shortly after their arrival. They were valued more for their labour than for their existence as children. 1. Less than one-third of the children sent to canada were actually orphans or completely destitute. The majority were surrendered by parents who could not afford to look after them and, seeking to avoid the workhouse, hoped that philanthropic organisations might provide a temporary refuge. However, most of the organisations believed that child poverty was related to poor parenting and used this as a justification to permanently separate the children from their families. 3. I have myself frequent bought little children. I have also smuggled children quietly away, or i have abducted them almost by force in the face of angry opposition. In 1893, the foster care system was established through the children"s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers