NURS 3102 Chapter 64: Meningitis

29 views4 pages

Document Summary

Meningeal infections generally originate in one of two ways: through the bloodstream as a consequences of other infections by direct extension, such as might occur after a traumatic injury to the facial bones or secondary to invasive procedures. Once the causative organism enters the bloodstream, it crosses the blood-brain barrier and causes a(cid:374) i(cid:374)fla(cid:373)(cid:373)atory reactio(cid:374) i(cid:374) the (cid:373)e(cid:374)i(cid:374)ges icp. Nuchal rigidity (stiff neck): this is an early sign. Any attempts at flexion of the head are difficult because of spasms in the muscles of the neck. Positive kernig"s sign: when the patient is lying with the thigh flexed on the abdomen, the leg cannot be completely extended. Positive brudzinski"s sign: when the patient"s neck is flexed, flexion of the knees and hips is produced; when passive flexion of the lower extremity of one side is made, a similar movement is seen in the opposite extremity. Photophobia: extreme sensitivity to light; this finding is common, although the cause is unclear.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers