Spanish Language and Literature
Course
SPAN 112
Professor
Consuelo Kani
Semester
Winter

Description
Span112 - Unit 4 - Lesson7/8 - Grammar▯ Maggie Smith Spanish has two past tenses - Preterite and Imperfect -ArrVeerbs (Tommarr) -Er andd Ir(Coomeer) Esscribir tomé tomamos comí comimos escribí escribimos tomaste tomasteis comiste comisteis escribiste escribisteis tomó tomaron comió comieron escribió escribieron Rules (Stem Changing and When to Use Preterite) - If it is stem changing in O > UE or E > IE it stays the same. Ex. Tú encuentras --> encontraste; - verbs ending in -gar: g > ue, -car: c > qu, or -zar: z > c. Ex. Pagar --> pagué, Buscar --> busqué, empezar --> empecé - Verbs that end in a strong vowel (a,e,o) change the unaccented i to y in 3rd person singular & plural of preterite. Ex. Leer --> Leió Leyó + leyeron - Only Ir verbs change in the preterite, if it is -ar or -er it remains the same Servir (e > ie): serví, serviste, siervió, servimos, servisteis, sivieron Dormir (o > ue): dormí, dormiste, duermió, dormimos,dormisteis, duermieron Other Verbs Include: conseguir, divertirse, morir, pedir, seguir, sentirse - used when actions or events are completed in the past, or to indicate a sudden change Ex. What did you eat? We ate a salade. --> Que comieron Uds.? comimos ensalada. Ex. Did you find the money? I didn’t look for it ---> Enconstraste el dinero? no lo busqué. Preterite of Ser, Ir, and Dar Seer(to be)) r to goo) Daar(to give) fui fuimos fui fuimos di dimos fuiste fuisties fuiste fuisties diste disteis fue fueron fue fueron dio dieron Preterite of some irregular Verbs Tener : tuve, tuviste, tuvo, tuvimos, tuvisties, tuvieron Estar: estuve, estuviste, estuvo, estuvimos, estuvisteis, estuvieron Poder: pude, pudiste, puso, pusimos, pudisties, pudieron (To be able to, Can) Poner: puse, pusiste, puso, pusimos, pusisteis, pudieron (add?) Saber: supe, supiste, supo, supimos, supisteis, supieron Hacer: hice, hiciste, hizo, hicimos, hicisteis, hicieron Venir: vine, viniste, vino, vinimos, vinisteis, vinieron Querer: quise, quisiste, quiso, quisimos, quisisteis, quisieron Decir: dije, dijiste, dijo, dijimos, dijisteis, dijieron Traer: traje, trajiste, trajo,trajimos, trajisteis, trajeron Conducir: conduje, condujiste, condujo, condugimos, condujisteis, condujeron Traducir : traduje, tradujiste, tradujo, tradujimos, tradujisteis, tradujeron pg 1 Span112 - Unit 4 - Lesson7/8 - Grammar▯ Maggie Smith The Imperfect - Regular -ArrVerrbs (Hablar)) -Err& -IrVeerbs (Commeer) (Vivir) hablaba hablábamos comía comíamos vivía vivíamos hablabas hablabais comías comíais vivías vivíais hablaba hablaban comía comían vivía vivían Irregular Imperfect Tense Verbs - There are only 3* Seer(to be)) r to goo) Veer to seee) era éramos iba íbamos veía veíamos eras erais ibas ibais veías veíais era eran iba iban veía veían Uses of the Imperfect - actions in the past that occured repeatidly Ex. yo caminaba cada día - also actions in the past that occured over an extended period of time - used to “set the stage” for an event in the past - actions which are not physical (feelings and mental actions) - for descriptions of physical condition or characteristics of persons or things in the past - express time and age in the past - to quote exact words, repeat what someone said in the past (after words like: decir, escribir, avisar, anunciar) - to request or require something politely Indirect Object Pronouns in addition to a subject & a direct object, a sentence can have an i.o. Ex. ella (subject) les da (verb) el dinero (d.o.) a los muchachos (i.o.) - the subject preforms the action and the i.o. is the final recipient of an action expressed by the verb - before an I.O.P there is usually a preposition a - i.o. usually tells who or what something is for - an i.o.p can be used with or in place of the indirect object in spanish i.o.p. includes the meaning to or for. Here are the forms of an I.O.P. Formss of an IO..P. me (to/for me) nos (to/for us) te (to/for you) os (to/for you) familiar le (to/for you, him, her)les (to/for you, them) - i.o.p.’s have the same form as d.o.p.’s except in 3rd person pg 2 Span112 - Unit
More Less

Related notes for SPAN 112

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit