PSYC 2390 (118)
Lana Trick (87)

Location of a Sound.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 2390
Lana Trick

Cues to Location of a Sound 11/15/2012 4:29:00 PM Cues to Location of a Sound (2 dimensions)  Auditory space: extends all around your head in all directions  3 dimensions o Azimuth: left to right o Elevation: up and down o Distance: close and far  Different in vision in that when a sound is heard, it stimulates a cochlea based on the sound frequency and gives no information about sound localization Inter-aural Time Differences: (ITD)  When you have something that comes from right, hits right ear before left ear  Compare time in which a sound hits left ear and right ear  If comes from straight ahead or behind o Hits both ears at same time  This cue works best for… o Low frequencies  Because time between peak and bottom is longer time therefore easier to tell (more time) Inter-aural Intensity / Level Differences: (ILD)  Differences in sound pressure level of the sound reaching the two ears  If it comes from right, it is louder on the right  If it from straight ahead or behind, equally as loud on either side  This cue works best for… o Best for high frequencies  Have sound shadow created by head (blocks out some of the sound)  Causes decrease in intensity on far side of head  When you have long wavelengths (lower frequencies), sound can go around you and you cannot tell differences in intensity Coping with Ambiguity:  How can I tell if it is in front of me or behind me? o Turn your head, changes your angle  How can I tell if it is high or low when right in front / behind me? o Cause by cone of confusion  When two sound sources have the same ILD and ITD o Solved by monaural cues Monaural Cues  A cue that depends on input from only 1 ear  Primary cue is spectral cue o Information from localization is contained in differences in distribution (spectrum) of frequencies that reach the ear from different locations
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2390

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.