SOC 3740 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Jeremy Bentham

38 views1 pages
17 Oct 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Letter i idea of the inspection principle. Will be found applicable to all establishments, no matter how different or even opposite the purpose. The more constantly the persons to be inspected are under the eyes of the persons who should inspect them, the more perfectly will the purpose of the establishment have been attained. Letter ii plan for a penitentiary inspection-house. Cells are divided from one another; prisoners are secluded from all communication with each other. Large windows to light the cell, and into the lodge: the other side covered by iron grating, so the inspector can see into the cell. The apartment of the inspector occupies the centre (inspe(cid:272)tor"s lodge) In between these two areas will be a vacant space. Letter v essential points of the plan. The esse(cid:374)(cid:272)e of it (cid:272)o(cid:374)sists i(cid:374) the (cid:272)e(cid:374)trality of the i(cid:374)spe(cid:272)tor"s situatio(cid:374), (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:271)i(cid:374)ed (cid:449)ith the (cid:449)ell-known and most effectual contrivances for seeing without being seen.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers