SOC 1200 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Acculturation, False Consciousness, Symbolic Interactionism

72 views5 pages

Document Summary

Sociology chapter 5: the lifelong learning a person undergoes to become a capable member of a society, through social interactions with others, and in response to social pressures. Acculturation: the process of assimilating a culture other than the one a person was first socialized into, this definition applies to immigrants that come into another country and must adapt to the new culture. Primary socialization: lear(cid:374)i(cid:374)g that takes pla(cid:272)e i(cid:374) the earl(cid:455) (cid:455)ears of a perso(cid:374)"s life, a(cid:374)d that is (cid:272)ru(cid:272)ial to the for(cid:373)atio(cid:374) of a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s perso(cid:374)alit(cid:455). In the family, a young child learns many of the social skills needed to interact and take part in social institutions, including school, offices, factories, etc. This is for primary socialization: for secondary socialization, school, peers, and media teaches people how and what they should value in life. Anticipatory socialization: the process of learning about and preparing for future roles, an example would include students in medical school.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers