PSYCH306 Chapter Notes - Chapter all: Panpsychism, Materialism, Jerome Lettvin

107 views26 pages

Document Summary

Sensation ability to detect a stimulus and, perhaps, to turn that detection into a private experience. Perception act of giving meaning and or purpose to a detected sensation. Everything we feel, think, and do depends on sensations and perceptions. Idea that sensation and perception are central to mental life has deep roots. Etienne bonnot de condillac: asked his readers to imagine mental life of a statue with no senses. Concluded that statue would have no mental l ife. I(cid:373)agi(cid:374)ed ope(cid:374)i(cid:374)g the statue"s (cid:374)ose a(cid:374)d gi(cid:448)i(cid:374)g it the s(cid:272)e(cid:374)t of a (cid:396)ose. Thought the entire mental life of the statue would consist of that smell. Imagined that a real mental life would develop with more senses and more experience. We approach the study of s ensation and perception as a scientific pursuit need for scientific methods: Variety of methods available for measuring sensory thresholds of the sort (above) Looking at limits of each spectrums (small to large, etc. )

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers