SOC101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Symbolic Interactionism, Talcott Parsons, Role Theory

73 views3 pages

Document Summary

Functionalists are impressed with how societies organize themselves and persist over time, while particularly interested in large-scale structures and social institutions like family, religion, and education. Norms dictate the way people behave in ways that contribute to the integration of society. Status is the particular social position people hold. Ascribed (born with it or by chance, i. e. ethnicity) v. achieved (by choice, i. e. Ascribed (born with it or by chance, i. e. ethnicity) v. achieved (by choice, i. e. ceo) Status set is a cluster of statuses held by one individual not fixed. Statuses are a cycle in life (enter and exit over the course of life) Roles are the responsibilities, behaviours, and privileges connected to a person"s status or position. When behavioural expectations attached to one role interfere with one"s ability to meet the expectations of another role role conflict, e. g. women finding role conflict in the role of a career woman and motherhood.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers