COMM 393 Chapter Notes - Chapter Case: Nova Scotia Supreme Court, No. 570 Squadron Raf, Punitive Damages

91 views2 pages
1 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
COMM 393 Universal Property Management Ltd. v. Westmount Windows and Doors Ltd. Case Briefs
[1996] N.S.J. No. 570
Nova Scotia Supreme Court
December 10, 1996
Facts
The defendant, Copeland, owed 50% of the common shares and was vice-president of the corporate
defendant Westmount. On February 13, 1996, Westmount was petitioned into bankruptcy
Centennial Management Ltd. is a property management company to whom Westmount had provided
product and service. Centennial had owed a debt to Westmount in the amount of $20,154.46, plus
interest.
On June 27, 1995, the plaintiff, in error, sent a cheques to Westmount in the amount of $30,635.41 which
as redited to Ceteial’s idetedess to Westout, ad deposited ito Westout’s general bank
account when they believed it was payment for a debt owed by Centennial.
On July 11, 1995, the president of Universal telephoned Copeland, advised of the error, and demanded
repayment. Copeland refused, and on July 27, 1995, the action was commenced for a return of the fends
and for exemplary or punitive damages against Copeland.
Westmount had trouble collecting from Centennial. Copeland had attended the offices of Centennial to
discuss payment, and the president had assured Copeland about the repayment. Universal had taken over
several contracts and services from Centennial and Copeland and Uiersal’s presidet met to discuss the
debt.
o Uiersal offered to pay $, i full satisfatio of Ceteial’s det to Westout ad
offered to do business with Westmount, paying $10,000 upfront if accepted. Copeland refused.
Copeland was not satisfied that the erroneous cheque was payment meant for another Westmount
company, even though their invoices added up to the exact amount of that in the cheques.
Issues
Is the plaintiff entitled to judgment against Westmount for the amount paid?
Is the plaintiff entitled to judgment against Copeland personally for the same amount as part of or
together with exemplary or punitive damages?
Reasons
There was no debt owing by Universal to Westmount and it was only sent to Westmount through a clerical error
The plaintiff is entitled to judgment against Westmount for the amount of $30,635.41.
The court must consider whether there are circumstances here are sufficient to warrant the piercing of
Westout’s orporate eil i order to fid Copelad persoally resposile. (Westmount is now bankrupt).
The plaitiff suits that Copelad’s odut i refusig to return the funds was unconscionable, improper,
reckless, reprehensible, unethical, and morally wrong.
Law: Wolfson v. Corkum [1996] N.S.J. No. 391 S.H.
the ourt strogly suspeted that the defedat ke of the plaitiff’s error, ad ordered reimbursement
the fuds ere used for the defedat’s persoal uses ad the defedat had persoally guarateed
repayment of the loan
The court, however, will not pierce the corporate veil based solely on mistake and unjust enrichment.
the funds in this ase ere used for orporate purposes, ad ot for Copelad’s persoal eefit
Copeland was also injecting his own funds into the later stages of the company
Copeland was not unjustly enriched
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The defendant, copeland, owed 50% of the common shares and was vice-president of the corporate defendant westmount. On february 13, 1996, westmount was petitioned into bankruptcy. Centennial management ltd. is a property management company to whom westmount had provided product and service. Copeland refused, and on july 27, 1995, the action was commenced for a return of the fends and for exemplary or punitive damages against copeland: westmount had trouble collecting from centennial. Copeland had attended the offices of centennial to discuss payment, and the president had assured copeland about the repayment. Copeland was not satisfied that the erroneous cheque was payment meant for another westmount company, even though their invoices added up to the exact amount of that in the cheques. There was no debt owing by universal to westmount and it was only sent to westmount through a clerical error. The plaintiff is entitled to judgment against westmount for the amount of ,635. 41.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers